Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Passing using the push bike lane

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by zxrno1, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Guys
    Has the law been changed in Melbourne to allow you to undertake vehicles in traffic??
    Over the last 6 months I have seen a lot a bike riders using the push bike lane to "overtake" when the traffic banks up, instead of lane splitting or just plan old move to the other side of the road when safe and overtake.
    It just seems ridiculous to me that people would do that in a line of traffic, I ride to work daily and there are two sections where the traffic banks up on a single lane road for about 1klm, not a big issue on the bike the speed limit is 70klm and the traffic is doing between 0 and 20-30klm, so just indicate move to the other side of the road and overtake, easy you would think.
    But there are now a couple of F#$k wits on bikes (scooters) on the same stretch of road who have taken to overtaking this line of traffic on the inside in the bicycle lane.
    If the law has changed and this is now legal I apologize for calling you F#$k wits, and I will stand corrected if it has not then how about doing us all a favor, and overtake correctly.

2. It's illegal for any vehicle to use the bicycle lane except for very strict and few exceptions - mostly to approach a turn. If a few rampant cyclists complain to the cops about those scooters you can explect bike plod or noobie plods to turn up in the not too distant future.

3. It's actually legal to pass stationary traffic on the left "when safe to do so', (eg. when filtering) but not to ride in the bike lane.

4. I pass on the left when both lanes are chockers. It's safer. I'd rather get a ticket than knocked off cause someone didn't indicate when changing lanes.

5. Who cares? Peak hour traffic is a free for all. Go nuts.

Bike lanes? Why, you are on a bicycle my friend! Just pretend to pedal.

6. there is a thread a week on this
    NO you CANNOT use the bicycle lane to pass except when approaching an intersection and you intend to turn left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.