Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Parts - Classic Japs

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by roh, Apr 24, 2009.

1. I have recently acquired a 1979 Kawasaki Z200. A small, old bike which probably screams 'boring!' to most of you, but I'm no racer and the four-stroke single sounds wonderful cruising around the mountain!

The catch is, of course, that it is 30 years of age and deserves some new bits and pieces.

So I was just wondering where the classic Japanese bike nuts go to get their parts - both consumables and replacement items. Inner Melbourne or east of the city would be preferable. FTG Kawasaki, Classic Style in Seaford, and the VJMC are the obvious first ports of call, but I thought I would check to see if there was somewhere that came with a recommendation.

Thanks in advance,
    Rohan

2. No one services old bikes on the forum? :(

Anyway, contrary to popular opinion, the spare parts guys at 1300 Kawasaki FTG (Peter Stevens) have been great; searched all their aftermarket catalogues, called a few people and did a find-a-part request on my behalf looking for a replacement air filter when it showed up as NLA on their computer (to no avail, unfortunately). And eBay is supplying the odd NOS part. Will take a while to acquire all the parts but nothing is super urgent.

3. I think for there to be classic jap parts available, it has to be a classic!

Just kidding, but what I mean is that there aren't too many Z200's around.

I've had good luck with findapart, & you can set up an ebay search so when the key word "Z200" (or whatever you put in) pops up you'll get an email, very handy.

Some parts may also be common to a few models...

Good luck with it, they look like a nice old bike. :grin:

Oh, btw, :worthlesspics:

4. z200

it's pete from 1300 kawasaki (peter stevens)
    email me or call me at work as i have some ideas where we may find
    you an air cleaner here
    worst case scenerio my daughter is visiting in a few weeks from la
    and i could have her grab one from the dealership in socal where i
    worked as i already checked and they have one

5. Yeah, I did umm and ahh about the 'classic' title. Figured it meets the age criteria and looks the part! I'll start another thread with pics...

Thanks Pete, I'll call tomorrow if I get a chance. I checked at the mower shop and their parts catalogues didn't show up anything either.

6. Thanks for those links guys. Might go for a ride on the weekend to check out the mechanics.
    Now wondering which club to join, if any. VJMC, 59, CMCV...

7. UPDATE

For anyone reading this thread in the future, I feel I should point out that recent experience with the city store has explained PS's poor reputation.

Ordered a part, paid in advance. Was told it will be a 6 week wait (back order). Heard nothing after 7 weeks so contacted them - "should be in soon, call next week".
    So I dropped by today and was told by someone else "part is on back order, wait for a call". I explained my situation so the robot behind the counter investigates. "Part is discontinued, sorry. Would you like a refund?" she says.
    I have no issue with a part being unavailable (for a 30 year old bike) but they were sitting on my money for 8 weeks and did not contact me. If I had accepted today's initial answer I would still be waiting for a part that no longer exists.
    No effort was made to remedy the situation, so I can say with confidence that I won't be shopping at PS City again.

I hasten to add that the FTG store is still firmly in my good books, and I will be dealing only with them for any genuine Kawasaki products in the future.