Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vic P plates

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Kawasakiboy, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Hello all!
    Just reading up on restrictions for P Platers.

I am on my learners right now for 3 months, When I go onto my P's am I on them for 3 years?

2. #2 cjvfr, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Yes: From the Vicroads Site

Q: Why have the licence conditions been extended from one year to three years?
    The change to the length of time brings the licence restricted period for motorcycle riders into line with that for car drivers. New riders will be introduced to riding progressively through the graduated system which provides a structured transition as the new rider’s experience and maturity increase. It helps protect new riders while they gain experience by giving them the best chance of avoiding high risk situations.

Q: Are all of the motorcycle restricted licence conditions in place for three years?
    Yes, all of the conditions will apply to the restricted period which is three years. A full three years must be completed. If your licence is suspended, the end date of the restriction period will be increase by the suspension period.

Q: Is there a discount for the three year period if I hold a car licence already?
    New riders are over represented in crashes and nearly all new riders hold car licences. The GLS does not reduce the conditions for a new motorcycle rider based on the holding period of another licence type.

Edited to Add: The above assumes you are over 21, under 21 and you will have one extra year on Red P plates.