Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Operation sleepless this long weekend

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by robsalvv, Mar 11, 2011.

1. http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-news/6413-police-out-in-force-for-long-weekend.html

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = == = = = =

I bolded the center bit because at first it greatly annoyed me that they linked the 7 deaths with illegal behaviour, the inference being the illegal behaviour resulted in the death of those 7 people. This really annoyed me especially with respect to the motorcycle fatalities.

But then it dawned on me that the police are shooting themselves in the foot.

They've made the link between fatalities and illegal behaviour and are further re-inforcing that only illegal behaviour results in death. We all know this isn't true. Instead of getting people focused on driving and riding more skillfully, they're making them more scared of any kind of indiscretion and also lulling them into thinking that following the rules will keep you safe.

A proactive policing campaign should be getting people focussed on better driving, not just being more compliant.

Anyway, there's going to be a big operation this long weekend, you've been warned.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. I'm guessing there was some sort of operation going on down the GOR. About 3 unmarked BMW K bikes, a couple more marked ones and a couple of marked cars sitting in Maccas at about 8:30 this morning.
  3. Yeah it's black flag yellow flag - got a discount on some advanced rider training for my troubles. Lots of fully marked bikes in Monbulk and surrounds, as expected.
  4. Apparently the police now have a completely unmarked blue BMW motorcycle (or more than one) that they're using to raise revenue out in the country. Radio is in his jacket, the cop lights are built into the factory light housings, radar is mounted under/behind the nose between the forks.

Be aware.
  5. Completely unmarked have been around for years nothing new
  6. True . One up and down the monash around Pakenham Berwick for the past couple of years .spends a bit of his time at Pakenham ps . Has dark blue panniers on the bike . Thanks for the reminder :)
  7. We've got them here in SA too . As an aside , our regular police bikes have on board radar/laser (like a Hwy Patrol car) so you can be zapped coming towards them eg while they're mobile not just while they're parked . Do you guys have that as well ?
  8. I've seen two of those recently at the police garage in Collingwood.
  9. bmws? lol. is that the BEST they can come up with????hahaha.
  10. #10 burna, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    I saw a suspicious blue BMW with blue panniers on Citylink yesterday. I saw him pull away from the emergency lane on the left and was immediately suss but couldn't find him in my mirrors after that. Found him sitting right behind me in the right lane a minute or so later. I moved over in my lane and he split passed me watching bikes ahead (one was my gf). He was wearing a brownie/grey coloured textile jacket n pants.

I reckon the same bike had a car pulled over on the Calder a few weeks ago, seemed like an unmarked bike bc the lights looked like they were beside the tail light not on a pole but it was a bit hard to tell bc it was dark.
  11. ^I've seen a Maroon BMW GS (I think) around the Eastern Suburbs in Melbourne (Doncaster, Box Hill and surrounds). Definitely a cop wearing Dark Blue uniform and an antenna on the Panniers/Top Box. They are out there!
  12. Really ?
    I thought they would be sitting around the pool sipping pina coladas
  13. Yep. He pulled a mate over in Healesville a while back. My mate rode up the bicycle lane to get past traffic, and the cop followed. For an unmarked bike, it stuck out like dogs balls, but my mate didn't know he was there until he parked and the cop pulled up beside him and switched the lights on...
  14. So it stuck out like dogs balls but he didn't see it.
  15. I was 400m behind my mate. He went past a clear intersection. The cop then appeared from behind vegetation obscuring the view of the road some distance back from the intersection. The cop arrived at the intersection a few seconds before I did, and he pulled out behind the bikes behind me (we had right of way). Due to traffic, we all bunched up (cop now obscured by other bikes), and my mate took the bicycle lane, then the cop followed behind him for a short distance.

Sticking out like dogs balls was in reference to the fact that it looked like a police solo, even from a distance. It wasn't a comment about how my mate doesn't have x-ray vision. ;-)