Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC, NSW, ACT] Police to launch major traffic operation

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by pro-pilot, Nov 22, 2007.

1. http://www.theage.com.au/news/Natio...affic-operation/2007/11/22/1195321902799.html

Police to launch major traffic operation
    November 22, 2007 - 8:24AM

Police are warning drivers doing the wrong thing will have nowhere to hide in the lead-up to Christmas, with the launch of a major traffic operation covering south-eastern Australia.

Police from Victoria, NSW, ACT and South Australia will on Thursday launch Operation RAID - which stands for Remove All Impaired Drivers - in Canberra.

Traffic police will target drink drivers and those impaired by drugs, as well those breaking the law.

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Bob Hastings said the theme of this year's operation was 'nowhere to hide'.

"The slogan sums up the focused approach by police in detecting people who are impaired by alcohol or drugs and yet try and flaunt the law and endanger other road users by getting behind the wheel," Mr Hastings said.

"Operation RAID combines the efforts of hundreds of traffic police across four states and territories, so it won't matter where you're from or where you're going to, you will be caught if you choose to break the law.

"Police won't say when and where, but we will be there, on those lonely country roads, at the borders, and in the cities and towns, to detect and apprehend those offenders."

Mr Hastings said at certain times during the three-week operation, police would operate border lockdowns, where all drivers and motorcycle riders travelling across state and territory borders, would be stopped and breath tested.

He said drivers in Victoria would also be randomly tested for drugs.

Mr Hastings said the operation was timed to coincide with the lead up to the busy Christmas holiday period.

"In the lead up to Christmas there is traditionally a lot of movement between the states, particularly with people travelling by road to holiday destinations," he said.

"It is also traditionally a period of high alcohol consumption as people celebrate the festive season or simply take advantage of warmer weather for social occasions."

Operation RAID, which will run from November 23 to December 15, will be launched at 10am (AEDT) in Canberra.
  2. They say this every year. Every major holiday period has a hotshot from the Police saying they will be out in force and will catch drivers doing the wrong thing.

Of course there will still be a tonne of idiots caught drink driving etc and there will also most likely be a spike in the number of crashes.

In other words, if you're driving interstate, you WILL see a highway patrol at some stage.

I hate to say it, but if you're doing the right thing, it won't affect you. I'm happy to deal with more booze buses if it means more wankers off the road.
  3. If you're doing teh right thing, sitting in traffic for an hour or more trying to cross a border WILL affect you..........
    Jesus, when are they going to wake up to the fact that christmas equals many, many more vehicles on teh roads, and therefore more accidents? It's really not something they can do much about, especially when you get the weekend warriors out, who maybe dribe at 80 km/h during the year, in an overloaded car, with semi bald tyres, no skills etc.........
    And as for impaired drivers, if the courts would stop letting repeat offenders off with fines and good behaviour bonds time after time, maybe people would think about doing it..........

But no, let's tar all of society with the one brush, cater to teh lowest common denominator and stop any and everyone. They catch fcuk all of these people anyway.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. I actually wonder if by increasing the amount of police cars on the road during those busier periods whether or not the actual number of police per normal vehicle goes up?

Either way, I'm probably going to take it a little more carefully for the next few weeks ;)
  5. I regularly travel interstate in my modified Commodore and have never been hassled or had to wait at all. If I get pulled into a RBT station, I'm out within 2 minutes.

Agreed about most of your other points, but I fully support more police on the road.

Speed camera's on major highways has reduced the police presence dramatically, which has in turn led to very bad driving. I've seen a spike in the number of drivers not indicating and going 90km/h in the right lane, this didn't happen as much when police patrolled the roads.

Good on the police for being on the roads at a time where most drivers hit the roads. I'm all for it.
  6. Police presence is fine. Operations are not. Why?
    Operations need targets to justify the expense over a short period of time.
    If the numbers are down, they hammer you on anything.
    Eg. Exhaust, ADR's etc.
  7. eh??? where's that from? drink driving and drugs is the thrust; only once is 'as well as those breaking the law' mentioned.....

Besides, anyone who DOESN'T expect heaps of police on the road over the Christmas/New year break still believes in Santa.

{Waiting for the customary "All Police leave has been cancelled" line :LOL:}
  8. most work Xmas partys dont start till the 15 of december .....................Dickheads.