Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic] New M/Cycle Full Licence- Restriction Stuff up?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by froggy, Nov 9, 2008.

  1. Passed my Licence test last week and currently have a full drivers licence.

    The bike will be now shown as an endorsement on my full licence, however I still have restrictions.

    Which should be:
    E LAMS bike and no pillion
    Z 0.00 BAC

    However the temp licence I and a few others were given, says only the E restrcition is applied.

    It will be interesting to see what the proper licence says when it comes out, but where do I stand on this? I am not about to make a habit of drinking and riding, but if I was to ..... ?

  2. If you check the Vicroads website,

    you'll note that for the first 12 months of a motorcycle license (note that a Learner's Permit is not a license) is subject to the LAMS and 0.00% BAC restrictions, regardless of whether you hold a full car license or not.

    Not sure why the temporary license issued to you did not display this...
  3. I thought the Z restriction was actually for people who have been routinely caught over 0.05 and are no longer allowed to have any alcohol in their system
  4. Got that spots, my query is the presence or absence of the Z restriction as below....


    What Zilly says could be the right answer, but given one of them is explicitly stated, then you would expect the other?[/img]
  5. I think you will find that the Z endorsement is not part of the 12 months restrictions, even on your full licence. It is imply implied by the "R Date" on your licence. My full licence with the R Date on it never had any Z endorsement.
  6. Straight from vicroads' website Licence Condition
    It hasn't been updated for the E class with 260cc to Lams yet though
  7. If you hold a full car license on the bike you are only restricted by capacity and no pillion.

    .05 is your legal limit :wink:
  8. yeah ya ride better with a couple of beers in ya!

    2wheels is rught.
  9.  Top
  10. Even if nothing is printed on the license, both you and VicRoads know you're supposed to be restricted. In case of a crash or RBT or whatever, when the perform the check you'll get nailed.
  11. Yeah that is what I follow to be logic Garou and Saba.

    I would have expected it to be explicitly stated particularly given the other two conditions are stated.

    And yes I have had a bike endorsement on my full licence for a week.

    When the new plastic licence arrives in the mail I will check it out for interest. But yeah, drink riding is probably not a good habit to be undertaking.

  12. When i got my learners licence on my car licence, it didnt say anything about LAMS, all it had on the conditions was learner 0 bac
    then i passed my learners and got a R on my gold car licence, nothing about no pillion,
    so my guess is that it doesnt need to say it on the licence to be in effect, but the only way the cop would know is if he put in your licence details, not just look at it
  13. Froggy,
    You'll probably find 0 bac wont be on your license when you receive it.
    The back of my license only has -
    Conditions :
    E LAMS & No Pillion Passanger (followed by the end restriction date)

    I also thought it was odd that it wasn't spelled out as a condition, but i wouldn't like to take my chances pleading ignorance in court
  14. It wont be on his license because he is not a probationary driver/rider. He is fully licensed but with an endorsement that for a period of time has a restriction.
  15. In a similar vein, does a person with a full car licence (non-p plater) have to display a P on his bike during his first 12 months with a motorcycle licence? I haven't seen a definitive answer on this.
  16. Not required to display a P.
    I'm also in this boat.
    My licence says E on the front
    and on reverse under Conditions reads:
    Bike 260CC No pillion passenger End restriction 10/05/2009
  17. From this site:

    (Bolding and Underlines are mine)

    Type of motorcycle licence that is issued

    The type of motorcycle licence issued to you (Full or Probationary) will depend on the type of licence (if any) that you already hold.

    > if you do not already hold a car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence which is valid for three years.

    > if you already have a full car licence, you will be issued with a full motorcycle licence.
    However, all newly licensed riders, for the first 12 months, must have zero BAC, not carry a pillion passenger and have restrictions on the type of motrcycles that can be ridden.

    > If your motorcycle licence was issued before 1 June 2008, you may ride any motorcycle not exceeding 260cc or any Learner approved motorcycle.

    > If your motorcycle licence was issued on or after 1 June 2008 you may only ride any learner approved motorcycle. View the approved list of motorcycles for novice riders

    if you already have a probationary car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence as well. The probationary period will end at the same time as your probationary car licence.