Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Neil Mitchell's Plan to save the world.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by mjt57, Aug 7, 2008.

1. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24138609-5000117,00.html

A few problems from my perspective:

1. Stats used - deaths per 100,000 people. No consideration given to actual distance travelled, economic factors, public transport services, quality of roads, demographics, etc.

2. Annual RWCs. In NSW they've had them for decades while we haven't. Didn't seem to make any difference to the crash rate here. And if you're to believe the stats a vehicle's condition had little bearing, if anything, on why a crash occured.

3. Law enforcement. OK if the police will target bad driving. But if they're hiding in the shrubbery with radar guns then they're not going to be as effective. All they're doing is to catch someone speeding at that particular point in their travels. They won't be aware of god knows how many incidents of bad driving that may have occured before or after that spot.

4. Double demerits. They have had this in NSW for a long time too and yet they still have had higher holiday road tolls than Victoria. Sure, they may slow people down, or purport to, but the crashes are still happening.

Comments?

2. I started to read that crap in the paper just before the sauce from my
    filet-of-fish splashed onto the paper.

I thought, how apt ;)

3. Struth really?! :shock:

I never knew a fillet o fish had sauce. Looks like I learned something today. :)

4. Stick with me grasshopper, I will edumacate joo.

5. Thanks for the tip off Martin.

I commented and got published:

Penalties are MANDATORY. Mandatory despite any and all extenuating circumstances. Licence suspensions happen without recourse. The law is plenty tough. The road toll flattening and rising slightly is EXACTLY what you'd expect when you've belted the driving public into submission but haven't taught them how to drive and each year there are more cars on the roads. It's not rocket science. It's also what you expect from a camera enforcement mentality. Plenty of info about that on the web. The reality is, even at legal speeds, a crash can and does kill. Do all the beige coloured rolling road block wowsers suggest we travel at 40km/h? Why the unbalanced inoordinate focus on the road toll when there are MUCH bigger fish to fry? Make licences harder to get, make them more of an achievement and truly competency based and the road toll will plummet.

6. Why didn't you say what you REALLY think, Wallace :LOL:.

7. The article basically seems to be following the 'speed kills' mentality for many of its justifications. More police = no speeding = no deaths!

(Nevermind that NSW is generally quite tolerant of 'casual speeding' in situations where it is safe to do so, and openly advertises the placement of speed cameras to MAKE SURE you slow down in blackspot areas. Biiiiig difference to the VicRoads policies)

Too many questionable statements setting off my 'correlation does NOT equal causality' detector too.

8. 3. Law enforcement. OK if the police will target bad driving. But if they're hiding in the shrubbery with radar guns then they're not going to be as effective. All they're doing is to catch someone speeding at that particular point in their travels. They won't be aware of god knows how many incidents of bad driving that may have occured before or after that spot.

This is the valid proposal we all (I think) agree to.
    Slower speeds don't make better drivers!

9. "All right, everybody down. This is a shrubbery! If any of you f**(en pigs mooove, i'll take a speed cam pic of every last one of you"

10. "They have had this in NSW for a long time too and yet they still have had higher holiday road tolls than Victoria. Sure, they may slow people down, or purport to, but the crashes are still happening."

Last long weekend we had I was under the impression that NSW was fataility free?

11. And how many of those have they had prior to that? DD points have been in for quite a while now. If they'd been as effective as what the various authorities claimed then the road toll in NSW during holiday periods would have been a lot less than what they have been.

They're desperate. They grasp at anything that gives the voters the impression that they're doing something. Cops who have a vested interest in this say that it's great. But the crashes and fatalities keep on happening.

They'll never achieve "vision zero". They'll never come close. Unless thay ban motorised transport altogether people will still crash.

Sure, they can try. But why insult us with the bandaid approach and the somewhat condescending one as well? The media doesn't help either with its emotive and sensationalistic way that it reports such issues.

13. I was up around Mt buller on the weekend. On the way up, there was Mr Plod doing brisk business on a flat, straight bit of highway with not the slightest element of risk. Bottom of a long, straight hill, with another straight following. No side roads or trees.

Up on the hill, dimwits are out there cutting blind corners, braking mid-corner (and sliding sideways) or just plain driving straight off the edge while changing CDs. No sign of enforcement anywhere. Four head-ons this weekend.

Coming back down, donutman is still sitting on the straight, ringing the cash register for all it's worth. F%$#'n disgrace. Plod and their mates have got NO F@#$in IDEA what causes crashes. As for Mitchell - couldn't find his own willy.

14. I'd swap the zero tolerence on speeding and unmarked cameras down here for NSW's 10% wriggle room and marked cameras any, and every day of the week.

15. Having just moved from NSW (an area of size akin to say La Trobe Valley) You better believe advertised camera's work a treat. I can't quote you statewide facts only those local to my old place of residence. In 12mths the blackspot accident rate was slashed by up to 75% in some of the places where fixed speed camera's were installed. Of those installed areas 4 of them where within school zones and the camera's set to the variable speed limits of the day/times as advertised. They still took piccy's of speeders and cashed in enough to pay for the camera's and the subsequent vandalisation but the fact they saved lives by being installed in "the right spots" is probably a more interesting point to be in favour of these sorts of devices.

There's a stretch of freeway from my old haunt down to Sydney, takes an hour by car, has 3 varied speed limits, and has been in operation since they made "Stone". It's called the F3, has only 2 camera's on it, both not yet quite over 12 months in situation, both installed near accident prone areas allthough the accidents that happen in these areas are more likely to occur at peak times through drivers not slowing for built up traffic quick enough. Guess we'll have to wait a while to see how effective they really are then.

16. Don't tell me the Mitchellator is still trying to ram his rubbish down our throats :evil: TBH I was kind of hoping he had retired or disapeared up his own backside by now. Still at least its better than the tripe that comes out of the likes of Trisha and Jeremy Kyle :?

17. I have a good example of how the "speed limit mentality" does NOT improve road safety.

I am originally from Denmark and noticed on a visit about 6-7 years ago that they had INCREASED the speed limit on freeways from 110 to 130 km/h (but had different limits at intersections etc.).

Later I found out that the number of accidents and fatalities had DECREASED on their freeway system as well as the number of people speeding.

Reasons? Well 120-130 is a speed that most people find very "natural" to drive at on a freeway - so not many feel they have to break the limit and far less have their eyes fixed on the bloody speedo instead on the traffic (because they try to drive at the limit without getting fined) and thus drive more relaxed and safe.

Look at our system - we have the same speed limit on a 4-5 lane freeway (Eastern Freeway) as we have on most winding and dangerous country roads. Go figure......

18. The scary part is goverments listen to knobs like him
    what would he know about it anyway? :mad:

19. Good point, perhaps one could assume that accidents are less likey the fault of speed and more likely the inability of drivers adapting to varied conditions ? The roads themselves are atrocious for the most part anywhere outside a major metro area, so why is it that more flag burning is done in the name of speed related issues than council roadworks ?