Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Mt Dandenong at Night (including Mountain Highway)

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by robsalvv, Feb 24, 2006.

1. <original title: Took a spin along Mountain Highway last night>

Found myself in the far east of Melbourne last night around 9:30pm and on the bike...
    so since I recently discovered the joys of Mountain Hwy during the day time,
    I thought I'd sample it at night.

yum yum yum.

Slightly scary not being able to look fully through corners...
    but a total joy all the same at slower speeds.
    I loved the combination of stillness, solitude
    and that deeply forested feel with perfectly cambered corner after corner after corner...

Well, thanks very much Scumbag! Its now one of my fav roads!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

2. dude it was great weather last night to do any cruise
    was out with youngens last night at crown and had a great ride home
    had a good time there as well
    maybe next time u can come with us
  3. Re: Took a spin along Mountain Highway last night

Yeah isn't it great. I work about 10 mins ride from bottom of Mountain hwy and Ferntree Gully end of the tourist road and work lots of night shifts. Nothing beats belting around up along those roads at 3:30am in the middle of winter. I've done the entire length of the tourist road from Burwood Hwy to Canturbury Road and return without coming across another vehicle :)
  4. Yeah it an awesome ride at night, i wish skyhigh was open late because i recon the views of melbourne would be amazing, You can actually get resonably good views of the suburbs below (Probably all the way to the city too on a clear night) if you can find a good gap the trees on the way up.
  5. I use to live in Olinda so traveled every day on this road, never found it much fun in the winter though, when wet that is. :)
  6. I used to live at the base of the hills. But that was before I had my bike. Was still great fun in car.

I head over there now and then still. It really is a great section of road with all the work they have done to it over the last few years.
  7. night time at dandenongs

If anyone gets a chance to do the Dandenongs at night time... do it. I had a great night, just got back. The road was a little furry but damn it is good. If you dont mind a bit of chilliness, get out there... (Do it during the day if you never done it before)
  8. man your crazy!!!
    would of been about.... what?...... 5 degrees or something like that
    but good run during the day and nice shops to get pies and coffee
    during night time watch out for wild life and kami kaze wombats
  9. I haven't done this on the bike yet, but I used to love cruisin up the mountain in my car... it is particularly nice at night time too....
  10. Night is so much better without the traffic. But being able to see the corner is always an advantage. Need the best of both worlds huh? :wink:
  11. bit like big arnie in T2...."can you see where you're going"
    and big arnie says " i see everything"
    :LOL: :LOL:
    i gotta get some sleep :LOL: :LOL:
  12. I find it very refreshing to take the cool mountain airs especially on those 40 degree summer days.
    In fact, I think I'll pop through there today as I venture beyond. :grin:
  13. Actually, I was up there yesterday, after reading an article about "tree changers" in the weekend FR. Fascinating reading and viewing the area.
  14. What a grand idea - see you on the road :p
  15. Hehe, we should get you along to the annual Icicle Ride. :grin:
  16. Just be carefull up there, night time is also when the odd driver takes the car for a punt along the roads. I should know, I am one of those drivers :p
  17. It was about 4-5 degrees up there last night, I was wearing Jeans, draggin cargos, t-shirt, gym jumper, jacket, scarf... I was still freezing.... The view from skyhigh was FANTASTIC... totally clear!!!

Nearly hit a bunny and apart from some peni puffer with his mates in a VN commondore thought it would be funny to be see how close they could get to the back of me but thats ok.. he nearly wiped out a another car coming the other way around a hairpin. (I didn't brake just downshifted 2 gears right before the corner :LOL: )

Roads were a little icy and even touching the back brakes saw them locking up which was fun!

I do recommend it... just watch out for the furry roads and furry creatures... good fun