Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Laws regarding movement from L's -> P's ->Full L

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Moff, Jun 4, 2009.

  1. Hi Guys,

    Many different people tell me many different things. I just want to see if someone can give me a definite answer.


    I am currently on my L's, got my L's around 9 Months ago. When I lived in the UK, i rode quite a bit (No licence tho). So since moving across here and getting sick of the car, decided to get a bike.

    Now I get onto my full car licence at the end of this year.

    People tell me if i get my P's now, because ill be on my full car licence in 6 months, ill only have to be on my P's for 6 months after that (to make up 12 months on my P's (Bike).

    Now someone else tells me once i get onto my full licence on car, ill still have to be on my P's on bike 12 months after i get my full licence on my Bike.

    Someone else tells me if i get on my P's now, as soon as im on my full licence for car, I'm on full licence for Bike.

    What I'm trying to get at is this,

    What is the fastest way to get onto my full licence from my current situation? Am i able to go interstate and get it quicker that way?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. And if you are getting your licence - do it ASAP - there is a move afoot to go to a Graduated Licencing System for bikes (similar to cars).
  3. Re: [VIC] Laws regarding movement from L's -> P's ->Fu

    1. You will have to display L plates on the bike until you pass the
    upgrade test from learners to restricted licence

    2. When you pass your test you will be restricted to LAMS (learner-approved) bikes for 12 months since you passed the test.

    You will also have to display P plates until your car P's are done (6 months).
    This is NOT the same thing as LAMS restrictions. They are SEPERATE.
  4. I have found my answer once and for all.

    For anyone else that is interested, Check this page out:



  5. Glad to see I was right, handy to have the link to where Vicroads have
    the info.
  6. I remember going for my driving test for my car on the same day I was getting my full licence for my bike, I past my driving test and the guy put through my full licence for the bike first so I could go straight on my full licence for my car.

    Should have seen my friend’s faces when I turned up with no P plates on.

    Those were the days. \:D/