Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] LAMS questions - restricted bikes

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by hankscorpio, May 21, 2008.

1. Yes, more LAMS questions - I tried asking Vicroads but they were about as useful as a one-legged man in an arse-kicking competition.

First, does anyone have an update on when the LAMS scheme comes into effect? I've seen a couple other posts where June 1st and then 'late June' are mentioned however there's no specific date on the Vicroads site yet..

Also, does anyone know exactly how the throttle restricted bikes will be handled by Vicroads?
    I'll give an example - the Ducati Monster 620 Lite is on the approved Vicroads list but these aren't sold new anymore and I'm guessing would not have been sold in Vic when they were so anyone wanting to get one will be going interstate to purchase - so my question is will Vicroads require some sort of proof that the bike was registered interstate as a LAMS bike? or will they just do an inspection at rego time to confirm that there's a throttle restrictor there?

2. 1. VicRoads haven't yet decided.

2. VicRoads haven't yet decided.

Slack buggers, aren't they! :p
  3. I was in PS the other day and notice that they are selling the CB400 as a learner legal bike (they have a big 'L' plate stock on it). Seemed a little premature to me...
  4. Up until very recently it was 1st June 2008. It seems they have had a change of heart.
  5. Yep, given that they've had a year to organise the introduction of LAMs, it looks fairly un-professional to release a specific date and then retract it - and it affects a lot of people (thousands of riders currently on restrictions as well as the businesses selling bikes and all the testing/training businesses who want to advise new riders of what bikes are legal for them and when)
  6. LAMS is still definitely on schedule - I was speaking to the VicRoads project manager yesterday. The LAMS list is currently under review and the next version will be out soon. It looks like there will be several revisions of the list as bikes continue to be added over the next few months.

I'm informed that there will be also a mechanism of some sort to apply to add a specific model to the list. I know the ACT have an application form on their VicRoads equivalent's website so I would assume it will be something like that.

By the way - July 1 2008 was the date specified originally.
  7. I checked the Vicroads LAMs page and the list of LAMs bikes is unavailable - it has been updated this morning with the following:

"Approved motorcycles under LAMS with engine capacities of 261 - 660cc
    The list of motorcycles between 261cc and 660cc is currently being updated. The updated list will be posted shortly."