Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Internal review for fines, anyone used?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by MV, Dec 21, 2010.

1. & if so, did you get it overturned?

What were your Exceptional Circumstances?

To elaborate, according to Civic Compliance, you can apply for an internal review of any fine, but you can only apply once. You can, however, still take it to court if your internal review wasn't successful.

Details here: http://online.fines.vic.gov.au/fines/Infringement_States.aspx?p=2&s=2&t=t

On another note, you can apply for 3 x 28 day extensions before you apply for an internal review, (I am unsure if you can apply for any extensions after that, but I will find out.)
  2. I got out of a speeding fine a couple of months ago through an internal review. I told them the camera was at the bottom of a decline and the car had picked up speed on the way down. They were happy enough with that explaination. :)

...I didn't bother to tell them how fast I was going before I slammed on the brakes after seeing the camera.;)
  3. Good stuff Seany!

Worth a stamp & some time at least I reckon, whether it works or not.
  4. Thanks Mike, I didn't realise they had a forum, I will definitely check that out. =D>
  5. MV - just applied for such a thing, but deemed unsuccessful..even my genuine story wasn't good enough to save me the $200 odd bucks and 3 Demerit Points...
    Best part (even HWP copper was surprised) was that I was busted in the car.
    I am totally responsible for the speeding fine, however so much for letting off someone with a clean record, on the 1st ever speeding offence, after 20yrs of 'exemplary' driving <--- how the HWP copper described my 20yrs on the roads...go figure !
    Amazing how my attitute has changed since then (happened 2 months ago)...now, I simply don't GAF !
    Revenue raising ? Is there anything else that would describe this internal review process/outcome ?!
  6. Any chance of some more details on that one Nickers? (I'll Understand if you're not keen on disclosing too many details)

You must have been more than 10km/h over yes? ;)
  7. Yes mate, this is why I hold myself totally responsible. The genuine story I included with my 'Application For Leniency' letter didn't cut it. It seems that anything over 10km/hr gets a big fat 'REJECT' stamp on it, no matter how genuine the event was on the day...
    Prefer not to dwell on it mate - had me fuming for a few days :D
  8. Thanks for the info TSO. I am checking out the traffic law forums now.

For the record, using their automated system (Civic Compliance that is), I have had 2 x extensions, & another when speaking to a representative.
  9. I got done twice in the same day on the same stretch of Princes Hwy (Vic) going each way a few years ago and got them to drop one of the tickets pleading I thought I was still in the 110km/h zone (110 in a 100 zone) and my detected speed substantiates that. It worked for me :)
  10. the second infringement should have been withdrawn regardless. You might even have got off the first......
  11. #12 robsalvv, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Guidelines i've heard: if it's a 1 demerit point offence & you have a good history e.g. No fines in the last 2-3 years, and if you're sorry, then a fine has a good chance of being withdrawn.

- - -
  12. Good info TSO.
  13. Not anymore it's not! :rofl:

Toe the line, man!
  14. Repeated since it's freely available information.

Official warnings
    Release date: Wed 9 July 2008
    Last updated: Fri 9 January 2009

If you have recently received an Infringement Notice you may apply for an Internal Review. http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=10367

Victoria Police has the discretion, upon review, to withdraw an infringement notice and issue an official warning in its place. Each application for an official warning is reviewed on a case-by-case basis with factors such as the circumstances, time of offence, weather conditions, traffic density and type of road/land abutting taken into account. For example, if you recently received a speeding fine but have had a good driving record in the past.

You can apply for an official warning if you:
    *Hold a current driver's licence, including probationary, or current learner driver's permit.
    *Have not been issued with a speeding, other traffic fine or official warning within the previous two years.
    *Were caught doing less than 10 kilometres per hour over the speed limit.
    *Do not deny that you committed the offence.

(Note: The above guidelines do not apply to infringements that have been paid.)

An official warning will not be given for red light, mobile phone, seatbelt or generally any serious road safety offence, unless a proven emergency situation can be shown.

Multiple Infringements
    Victoria Police has recently implemented guidelines regarding the enforcement of multiple speed camera infringements issued to drivers detected at low speeds within certain freeway/highway zones. These guidelines are being adopted to ensure that drivers are being afforded the opportunity to positively alter their driver behaviour, without being penalised by multiple infringements.

(Note: These guidelines do not apply to mobile speed camera detections or fixed speed/red light safety cameras at intersections.)

For the purpose of these guidelines, a Low Speed Infringement (LSI) is a speed of less than 10 km/h above the posted speed limit.

The discretion to be applied to multiple low speed infringements relates to:
    *Those within a given 24-hour period.
    *Those received over a period of several days, prior to the driver becoming aware of the first issued infringement.

Further discretion in the enforcement of multiple speed detections, not resulting in licence loss, is also being adopted. The same principles will also apply to multiple offences of driving/using an unregistered vehicle, with enforcement of one offence per 24-hour period, subject to certain criteria.
    In essence, you may be eligible to have multiple infringements that come within the guidelines withdrawn.

These guidelines are in the process of being automated with a view to ensure that in the future, multiple low speed infringement (LSI) detections in a 24-hour period will not be issued.

Until this system is automated, requests for reviews of such matters must be sent to the Traffic Camera Office, which will consider the request, and has the discretion to determine that only one fine in a specific zone will be upheld.

Should you wish to be considered for withdrawal of infringements within these guidelines, please forward a written application for review to the Traffic Camera Office:

Officer in Charge
    Traffic Camera Office
    GPO Box 1916
    Melbourne 3001

For more information about your eligibility for an Official Warning call Civic Compliance Victoria on (03) 9200 8111, between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday. Callers from regional Victoria can contact Civic Compliance Victoria on 1800 150 410 for the cost of a local call.