Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Instructed Ride to Reefton, Sat Nov 11th

Discussion in 'VIC' at netrider.net.au started by ForumBot, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Added to Calendar by: Mark McGuire

The Shire of Yarra Ranges, Road Safety Committee "Roadwise" will once again be conducting instructed rides between October
    2006 through to April 2007.

The rides are:

REEFTON
    Saturday 11th November 2006
    Sunday 11th February 2007
    Saturday 21st ...

... more

This is an automated posting of an Events Calendar entry.

2. I've never been on one. Are they helpful, or are they basically just a group ride, with a lecture on safety?

3. Very helpful and well worth going.

4. Highly recommended ......... great guys/gals, helpful advise, fun day - even if Reefton was shrouded in mist! :grin:

5. anybody noe what time this ride starts and finishes ???
    im having a big one the friday night before

thanks

6. • Riders must check in from 8:30 am for a 9:00 am start at the Shire of Yarra Ranges Offices, Cnr Anderson & Hardy Streets, Lilydale (Melways Map 38 F5)
    • The ride will be deemed over at 4:30pm on the 11th November 2006

7. • Riders must check in from 8:30 am for a 9:00 am start at the Shire of Yarra Ranges Offices, Cnr Anderson & Hardy Streets, Lilydale (Melways Map 38 F5)
    • The ride will be deemed over at 4:30pm on the 11th November 2006

I know this is gunna double post, i can feel it.

8. I went to the October one. Very helpful for beginners. especially if inexperienced with group riding. We had a group of about 30 split into 4 groups of about 6 or 7. I was placed in a group lower than I should have been, found pace a little slow but still learnt plenty. The instructors are really encouraging there is a safety focus for the day, but they're not safety nazis.

Aparently there was an off duty cop (guest speaker) who saw a few dodgey number plate obstructions but didn't do anything on the day. Definitely worth doing probably not more than once.

9. Ok, I went to the learner ride to Toolangi last month and got a couple of useful tips... getting good habits before I really get into it.

Then I went to the Reefton one for licenced riders... never been so insanely bored in my life! Would you think it possible to fall asleep on the Black Spur? Seriously, it could have happened.

The problem was that between the 2 rides I'd been given a couple of tips from other riders and been in the area twice plus the NR Gippy ride. Apparently enough to jump me up a level or two.

They decide which group you go into based on how long and how often you've been riding. Hence, I got the vegie group.

However, I do still recommend their rides:
    *You can get some good tips
    *They demonstrate their talk
    *They observe you and give feedback
    *BUT if you think you might have gained more skill than the average for your time on the roads, tell them that so you're put in a more suitable group and can actually learn more.

10. I got so bored i broke off at healesville, and went Myer, Chum, then over to launching place, etc. Home late, but satisfied.

However, i did learn some things from the guys, who run a tight ship.

I'd be better off doing a cornering school.

Scheff

11. I was with Chef in the most advanced group. While I thought we sometimes had an okay pace, it certainly wasn't quick overall and at no point did I feel like I was pushing myself. I suppose in a way that was the point, but also what makes it less fun. Most of what they taught us I already practice. They also said that they would talk to individuals about what they observed of their technique. I don't think they spoke to anyone in our group, so I'm guessing we were all okay.

I think a bit more focus on exactly how to take a corner would have been helpful, rather than trying to scare us with what could potentially happen if you go around too fast. As the policeman said at the end - a lot of accidents seem to involve people failing to make corners that their bike was capable of. I'm guessing something happens and they don't react correctly (like they hit the brakes).

I must say though, our instructor went pretty quick through the Black Spur (I was behind him), but certainly not so fast I had trouble keeping up.

I think the advanced HART training might be the go, though it is a lot more expensive.

12. did you pass that log truck bugeater, i can't recall

13. Forget the Advanced training at HART, do the intermediate course twice. Same thing, more time doing the exercises :)

14. Forget the Advanced training at HART, do the intermediate course twice. Same thing, more time doing the exercises :)

15. I'm going to do just that Loz.
    I didn't forget.
    And if you can say it twice, i'll do it twice!

Scheff

16. Yeah I did get past the log truck. I then got past the bus after that. Missed a good portion of the Black spur though.

17. I was stuck so far behind, we didn't even see any log truck! We had 5+ cars behind us going through Black Spur... most depressing.

18. I think you would have been fine in the advanced group. We weren't even riding as hard as on the Gippsland ride.

It's funny to think that where we stopped at the top of the spur less than a week ago, in the heat and the flies, is now covered in snow (or at least was yesterday). That certainly would have made the ride more interesting :LOL:

19. Hi All

I was one of the instructors on the Reefton ride on Saturday. I'm glad people are finding these rides useful and learning some lessons, but and after reading some of the posts I thought I should add a few things.

All we have to base our groups on is how long you have been riding, seeing as we are meeting you for the first time. If you feel you are in a to high or low group, let us know. We are approachable people and want you to get the most out of the ride. We can move you up or down if you like, just remember to ride at a pace you are comfortable with.

The feed back I give tries to highlight what you are doing right, and maybe a few suggestions of things you might try, either individually or as a group. When the group all rides really well, as they did on Saturday, there is no point nit picking for the sake of it. Instead there was a group well done, and pointing out a few mistakes others not with us made. My group all saw the guy (with pillion) overtaking over double white lines approaching a blind crest, and was only going about 10kph more than us..... why not just wait?!

I encourage every one to go one one of these rides. They are a cheap way of getting tips, advice, or just confirmation that you are on the right track with your riding. Just remember what the course is for and where it is being conducted. The pace of the other road users around us controls what we do. I don't like doing 30 kph along the Spurs any more than the next guy, but the R6 guys overtaking the logging truck (and bus) didn't get to Healsville much quicker than most of us, we just didn't have to risk a Nissan in the teeth for it....

The Yarra Ranges rides are mostly about risk management and how you ride on the road to keep yourself safe to ride another day. Think of them as helping with the mental aspects of riding to compliment the physical skills you learn on other courses. If you want to go faster or corner better HART has Intermediate and Advanced courses to work on those skills away from traffic in a controlled environment.

For everyone doing the last 4 rides of the season please come up and talk to myself and the other instructors about what you want to get from the day and we'll do our best to help you on the day with whatever you need, or point you in the direction of the most appropriate course so you can achieve the results you want, whether its Intermediate or Advanced........... or stay tuned in early 07 for something new

See you out there

Paul