Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC]how to stop drags and burnouts in residential areas

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by freo43, Oct 8, 2007.

1. I live in a new developing suburb with lots of new clean streets and not many houses yet.
    Lately there's been a big boom in people doing burnouts etc in the streets near me... fortunately i'm in a court...

From experience is there any point calling the Cops? It's about 7kms to the nearest Cop shop... Will they do anything? Do they care?

Or should i just put on my leathers and ride past (CBR600RR) like a good citizen and tell the culprits to move on?

2. No way to stop them other than getting a fairly regular police presence developed there.

Best option for you is to just go join them.

3. Live with it I suppose, it happens in most new estates. You could tell the cops, just don't put yourself in danger. :?

4. Tell the cops and let them do their job.

5. Same thing happened when we moved into our house. Once the houses are up, it goes away. Pretty pointless calling the cops IMHO, just go over and watch :).

6. camera / number plates
    get to know your local police

7. Or they will realise what you are up to and there's a fair chance you, your family or house will suffer as a result.

Whatever you decide weigh up the options before you do it.

8. i'd go to the cops. Go in to the cop shop every day if you have to. Tell them you are going to keep coming back until they do something about it.

Give the cops a reasonable chance to do their job. Then if they havent done anything, cross to the dark side and ring Today Tonight - they live for "hoon" stories :p

I guess you could go down there and just say to them "hey guys, i know your jst letting off steam but we've got a new baby in teh house, would you mind finding somewhere else to go?" they'll probably tell you where to go, but might be worth a try.

9. try the coppers and if nothing happens write to your local MP. hoon laws get the buggers all excited

10. Can you see them from the roof of your house?

Yes??

[​IMG]

Before anyone gets all upset, I'm only joking ...

11. The State Gov set up a Hoon Hotline for exactly this purpose - the number's the same as the Crimestoppers one.

12. Yeah call the cops...they'll do NOTHING.

Regards, Andrew.

13. you could try littering the street with caltrops - letter drop your existing neighbours as a goodwill gesture.

14. Yeah, you'll need a night vision scope.

:grin:

15. The cops will not do a thing...

I live on the perfect 'chuck it sideways corner'...

I called the cops 7 times one night 'cause the same car was doing that every 20 minutes... the cops just kept asking "did you get his licence number?", "no, I am in my house with my 3 week old son, but he will be here again in 20 minutes"... they wouldn't send a car, so eventually I (much to my wife's horror) got in the car and drove to where I knew he was going...

big group of P platers, obviously someone's parents were away, obviously smoking a bit of stuff... the guy appologised, and no one from that group has done it again...

That said, I think that they were 'white' made a difference... wouldn't have even thought of doing it if they were Lebanese or something... different personalities... but I might have just been lucky...

Try not to go in fighting, (you don't need to go in like a pussy tho), just tell em you have a young family and ask them to take it somewhere else...

forget the cops, they won't do anything for you... even after you thump on the front desk and demand action... too busy sitting on the main roads where it is easy to get people for 10km/h over...

Cheers,
    Daewoo

16. Easy.
    Walk up to them, and tell them there is a big meeting TOMORROW night at 7pm, better be there, too good to miss.

Then tell the cops to be there at 7:05

17. In NSW at least, picture or video evidence from a member of the public can be used in conjunction with the hoon legislation to confiscate vehicles and charge the owners.

They've realised that the operator of the recording device doesn't need to be a public officer if the content is clearly showing illegal behaviour (and getting busybodies & curtain twitchers to do their job for them is waay cheaper than putting more cops on the streets :roll: )

Just get some evidence showing the vehicle clearly (make and rego), and if possible, the occupants.

Send it to the police and don't let them tell you they can't do anything about it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/05/10/1919156.htm

Oh, and if anyone reading this fancies a bit of hooning past my place...
    Smile, cos i got a real good zoom lense.

18. The only thing that will stop them is more people moving into the estate. Had the same thing happen with our estate. Fortunately, enough people moved in before we built to put the hoons off.

The fact that two coppers live in the estate might have helped, too. :wink:

19. In several states i believe, picture or video evidence from a member of the public can be used in conjunction with the hoon legislation to confiscate vehicles and charge the owners.

They've realised that the operator of the recording device doesn't need to be a public officer if the content is clearly showing illegal behaviour (and getting busybodies & curtain twitchers to do their job for them is waay cheaper than putting more cops on the streets :roll: )

Just get some evidence showing the vehicle clearly (make and rego), and if possible, the occupants.

Send it to the police and don't let them tell you they can't do anything about it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/05/10/1919156.htm

Oh, and if anyone reading this fancies a bit of hooning past my place...
    Smile, cos i got a real good zoom lense.