Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC - how does their speed tolerance work?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Ljiljan, May 31, 2009.

1. So in some places I read that they have a 3km/h tolerance on speeding, then elsewhere people say it is 6km/h but they add three after the fact.

Could someone explain clearly and succinctly how it works?

2. It varies dependant on the manner of detection - Camera, laser, radar, digitector, etc.
  3. Camera is 3 km/hr. Not so much a speed tolerance as an intolerance.

For anything else where a real live human being books you, they have guidelines but ultimately it's down to the individual. I've heard of people being booked for 3k over and getting off wiht a warning at 15k over.
  4. 2 key words i spotted in the last three posts...SPEED TOLERANCE, DEPENDANT...some sort of code??? :p
  5. The unwritten "tolerance" is 6km/h i.e 66km/h in a 60 zone and you are safe, 67km/h and you are pinged, take off 2km/h makes the fine 65km/h in a 60 zone = 1 point & 130 odd dollar fine.

of course I've been wrong in the past ;)
  6. Ah, the mythical speed tolerance thing...

I'll add my hearsay based view to this.

With respect to speed cameras it's said that they won't trigger til it detects a speeding vehicle going more than 7 km/h over the posted limit. The ticket, when it arrives will have that detected speed, minus 3 km/h for the "legislative tolerance" as it's written on my last bill that I got, and that figure is the "alleged speed".

So, do say, 67, get snapped and you'll get a fine for doing 64 km/h.

So, if you're gonna speed, do 12 km/h over. The fine is the same as if you were doing 7 km/h over. ie. alleged speed, 69 km/h, under the 10 kays over fine and one point.

Me, I was allegedly doing 70 kays (detected at 73) so I copped the next level, 3 points, $150 or whatever it was back then.

Of course, all of this is anecdotal. If you can afford the fines and the points, then go for it. If you can't, then safer to do the posted limits where the possibility of detection is high. Not that I condone speeding as a safe and family friendly activity, of course...

As for cops booking you, a mate's old man got pinged coming into Cann River a couple of months ago. It was for doing 103 kays. Fine, (pun intended), you might say. But it wasn't in the 80 kay zone, but still in the 100 kay zone.

To me it sounded like this flu' was probably propagated by the Orbost TMU back then...
  7. Thanks Day.

So that says that with a fixed camera it will deduct 2 k's off you speed once it records you speeding. So what is the minimum value that will set off the camera? 6 kays over? which will then get knocked down to four over?
  8. It's silent on that. But it has to be at a speed that exceeds the 3 kays legislative tolerance. Otherwise, if it snapped you at any speed over the limit you could conceivably get a fine for doing 59 kays in a 60 zone if you get snapped doing 2 kays over.

Or with the digital cameras get a fine for doing 60 kays in a 60 zone.

I can only go on personal experience. I've gone past one or two cameras doing 5 kays over the posted limit, usually 100 or 110 kay zones with the car on cruise and I've yet to get any tickets. I use the navigator's GPS speedo to check the speed, too, so it should be fairly accurate.

What we need are some volunteers. Get your speedos calibrated. Then, find a speed camera. Then arrange to have each rider go past at various speeds above the limit. Then wait and see who gets a ticket.

9. or do it at night, take license plate off, ad watch for a flash. safer on the bank balance
  10. I regularly do 5 kmh over in the car which is very accurate and on the bike in the tunnels and on the freeways which have speed cameras
    Never received a fine.
    66 is the max you can do with a speed camera.
    67 and u get nabbed.
    lidar and radar is more tolerant.
  11. You won't see a flash with most modern cameras - they use infra-red...
  12. Not in SA.

edit : unless their doing a hills trial with a camera disguised as a wheelie bin and catch something like 800 people in one day.
  13. so if you find a way to run a cooling system through your number plate, the camera might not pick it up? I can see someone trying to design something that only absorbs IR from one side and only emits it from the other. hmm, maybe some sort of gelatinous coating...

I dont think this is the case in NSW either. Or it only applies to very modern cameras.
  14. Maybe not. But we're talking about Victoria.
  15. Didn't I say that in my previous posts?
  16. I've been saying it for years yet you always doubted me.
  17. lucky alot of the cameras are not modern :p

just find a speed/red light combo out of the city, fair chance its old. remove plates and do your speed checks...
  18. I suspect you're thinking of thermal imaging cameras; those are different.

In this case, the IR flashes are using light which is boring ordinary light, but the wavelength is just outside the human-visible spectrum.

One would simply need to coat the license plate with a material which appears to be black (ie: does not reflect light) in the IR spectrum. :)

Shooting photographs in the infrared spectrum can have interesting results; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_photography discusses a bit.