Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Vic Government Revenue some facts.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by cjvfr, May 8, 2011.

1. Discussions on road safety invariably have revenue streams thrown up as a point. So what are the facts? The Following is taken from Victorian Government Statement of Finances 09/10 Figures are in Millions of dollars.

vicgovrevenue.

So of the Total State Revenue of 42.3 Billion dollars the two areas that most interest riders are the break down of Taxation that shows 1.28 Billion in Motor Vehicle taxes or 3% of government income. Note this excludes TAC charges.

Interestingly there is a 4.75 billion income from gambling, 11% of income.

The second area is the break down of the small wedge Other Income. Of this total of 1.7 Billion dollars, 437.2 million is due to Traffic fines, mainly speeding fines. This represents about 25% of Other Income or about 1% of total income.

It does not seem to be the financial cash cow that is commonly claimed. However, this figure increased in the 08/09 to 09/10 period by a figure of 10%. On that rate it is likely to pass 500 million this year or next. It is estimated that a speeding fine is issued in Victoria every 25 seconds.

So, considering it is about 1% of revenue it is unlikely that a radical rethink of road safety and enforcement regimes would damage current government financial stability but it may do some social good. While governments and Police remain mired in the same old paradigm there will not be any improvement, their techniques and methods have failed.

2. Judging by the fact it is not a HUGE cashcow, but it has had a big increase I reckon it has likely been earmarked as a potential growth area.... So it has been targeted for an aggressive revenue growth strategy as the potential for a larger market share is clearly there.

I wish I was being sarcastic.