Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vic Gov profiteering from TAC

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by templemonkey, May 11, 2005.

1.  Top
  2. Just one of the areas that both sides of government have been increasing state 'taxes' for many years. Nothing surprising or unknown.

3. People gripe about it all the time but in the end get complacent and just accept it. The article parallels the situation with Workcover whereby the profit each year was used as justification to lower premiums. What brought about this change? State Government largesse - hardly. One thing people always tend to forget is that our Government is exactly that - ours! This is an issue all road users can get into.

What can be requested from the extra TAC money - reduce TAC premiums or guarantee spending on legitimate road safety initiatives.

4. Now there's a valid issue for our motorcycle lobby groups to argue the removal of the $50 levy in October this year, issue press releases about, and call protests if they get no response or answers. It's one in which, if worked properly, will likely be supported by and participated in, from all other road user groups!

5. I know the $50 levy is high on Dales agenda for the meeting with batchelor

maybe you could ask him what happend after mouth and start the ball rolling based on batchelors answers

He may be nice and drop it as promised :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

6. In today's online version of the Herald-Sun, or the Age, forget which, there's a snippet that QLD road users will see the cost of compulsory third party insurance drop, following on from some reforms. The article said that car owners could see their premiums drop by as much as $60 a year to around $320.

I just checked my TAC premium. This year, it cost me $260, which includes GST. That's significantly cheaper than what QLD motorists are paying, particularly given that the majority of the population lives outside of metro areas up there. (I'm in a rural area here in Vic, hence that comment).

Also, here we have a no fault system. That means that riders if they have a single vehicle crash, for whatever reason, will have full coverage. Up there, the system is run by private insurers. So, it's pricing and benefits structure is pretty well commercially driven. ie. for profit. And if they have a single vehicle crash, and one that permanently disables them, they have to rely on whatever Medicare and private health insurance will cover them for.

So, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think that TAC is doing a bad job, overall. If it returns a profit or dividend to the government, well and good. Means less taxes elsewhere. However, it should also offer value for money, which I think that it does, particularly if you compare our system to that of NSW or elsewhere, where it's privately run.,

7. Yup, agreed. Having been a recent, and currently ongoing, user/recipient of the TAC system (and comparing that as a user of the NSW system many years ago), the TAC system is fantastic.

I don't know if it's being less taxes though ... if the TAC charge is increased, when it doesn't need to be, then it's still a tax increase.