Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Good news! The police have stopped all violent and property-related crime!

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by grue, Jul 4, 2010.

1. At least that's what I have to assume based on the amount of cops in South Yarra, Prahran and Windsor who were out annoying the everliving shit out of the citizenry tonight!

Happened to park right next to where they had someone on a cruiser pulled over and they were giving him the fourth degree for wearing a hoodie instead of a "real jacket, mate"… half a block away, they were questioning a mother pushing her pram. Besides this, I counted SIX people in cars pulled over between my home (in St Kilda) and the Jam Factory in Prahran.

2. it's amazing what you can stash in a pram these days
  3. Good news! The police have stopped [investigating] all violent and property-related crime!

there ya go, all fixed.......
  4. :rofl:

Costs money to stop real crime, but screwing over people? That MAKES money :-s

5. Good one Paul ........
  6. Something I picked from that media release was the phrase "gettting the message".

Seems they need new PR people, I would advise them that such a phrase could be construed as arrogant and authoritarian.

To my knowledge, they use that phrase on a lot of issues, so it seems that this was merely a part of Operation: Get the message.
  7. What if I don't like the message?

What if I have a message of my own, like,

"Get your overweight carcases out of MacDonalds and catch and prosecute some criminals"

how's that?
  8. oooh so that's where they were.
    because i was at the scene of a break in this morning.
    i asked the owner "did you call the cops?" ( in a hahaha as if you'd even bother tone).
    he replied :"yep two hours ago"
  9. All very good to prosecute but when the judiciary give suspended sentences or worse then the police have no option but to take out their frustrations on the general public, be it pram searches or harassing motorists.
  10. no. they can also take stress leave. If an officer can't do his job properly in such a demanding field, he really should be taking a break until he can get back to it. People who want to be cops know the demands about being a policemen, especially by the time they leave college, and they know its not the all roses and merriment that may have seen when they were younger. By the time they actually join the force they know roughly the toll it will take. If they get jaded they need to stop and regather themselves. Perfect world and all that.

Hornet, has someone hijacked your account?
  11. Was tongue in cheek Lilley
  12. ahh, not often I miss that. oh well.
  13. How could any one know what it is going to take? How are they going to know how they will react as opposed to the person sitting next to them in the police car? What is roughly compared to dealing with multiple fatalities, suicides, kiddy ****, domestics or whatver else causes someone to decide they are not cut out for a job?

Ahh, here we go, back to the beginning of your post. They can take stress leave, but apparently they needed to know they were deficient in dealing with trauma prior to hitting the road.
  14. huh?

how does this negate what I said? I think it's decently documented that a being a policeman is one of the more stressful jobs a person can put themselves through. I'm not sure of the suicide rate with the force but it has certainly raised its head. They would know that well by the time they graduated. As for how they would respond exactly, time will tell but there is a large sample space established for people to look hard and long at when they join the police. Hence they know roughly the demands of the job and what they will have to deal with.

What? I wouldn't wish some of the things police have to do on my enemies. Expecting them to cope without support would be like driving a car off an aircraft carrier and hoping it flies.

I'll be the first to admit police have a hard job at times. But having to do a hard job isnt an excuse for taking the easy way out and targeting the wrong people.
  15. I say they were speaking to the right people...

Seems like 1 in 10 people were committing an offence. Good job.

16. Do you know what the difference between a cop and a pig is?
    A cop will book you for something, a pig will book you for anything.

1300 people interrogated and only 1 was found to be carrying a weapon? It seems like you and I have a different definition of what a good job is.

Operation 'get the message' indeed.
  17. I'm sure the original version I read was in England, and it was a man, but the sentiment is the same. ;)
  18. Understood. In the cold light of day I now see where you are coming from. I apologise for wading in hard and fast. I still stand behind my contention that someone cannot fully know what sort of toll the job will have. Every one is different and react differently to situations. This is the same for other emergency services and the military. All jobs where a person would be aware that they may / will face traumatic events, but how traumatic those events may be and their own personal reaction to them is unknown.

Having said that, PTSD can affect anyone if exposed to trauma. I am sure there are people on this forum in the course of their road use may have been exposed to it in some form or other, where as others may have dealt with some terrible events and have continued to function as if nothing out of the ordinary occured.

19. I'm wary of the recent trends towards bolstering recruitment numbers which coincidentally requires that the police force water down standards.

Back when my Grandad was in NSW police you had to be a certain height, have a physical presence (not skinny, not obese), have a certain type of personality. I still remember him losing his rag when he saw a cop wearing glasses and a shirt that wasn't tucked in.
    Granted, the flying squad also existed during that time :rofl:

They were quite intent on not letting anyone wear a uniform if they were lacking. Not very equal opportunity, I'll admit, but two big rozzers from the 70's would put the fear of god into you better than a paunchy bureaucrat with glasses and a nightstick.

Small guys/girls in uniform I find troubling: they are more likely to feel threatened than a bigger more capable fellow. I've seen the local police from Chatswood LAC walk past a cafe in a huddled bunch looking rather twitchy and nervous, not a single one over 6 feet tall!

Small man syndrome, with all the pettiness and passive-aggressive tendencies that come with it, coupled with a belt full of weapons and an endless list of excuses to ruin your day is not a good mix.