Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Gippsland - Heyfield to Licola

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by gegvasco, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Although I haven't done it on a bike yet, we used to drive this route in our cages because it was twisty heaven combined with phenomenal high-country panorama. From Heyfield it takes about 40 minutes to get to Licola if you move it. After Licola it turns to dirt. It runs through large green valleys and follows a mountain river most of the way up. There are also some great old wooden bridges for some outstanding photo opportunities.

The road up to Walhalla is similar although less time is spent running along the side of panoramic valleys. Walhalla is absolutely worth the trip. As is continuing a bit further north to see the enormous dam.

2. When are you going to come over and try it?
    i see from your profile your in Adelaide.
    i'm sure there would be a number of Netriders that would provide accommodation while your here in "good ol Vic"

and yeah Walhalla is a very, very interesting place to visit.

cheers ratty ( aka Paul )

3. My strongest memory of that road goes back to when I was 12. I was at a school camp, one of the teachers was going into town to pick up some supplies, and I got a lift in with him for some reason.

Trundling along in the old FJ40 Landcruiser, we came round a blind left-hander to find the windscreen completely full of oncoming logging truck.

Somehow both drivers managed to find some room, but the gap between the 2 vehicles as we passed was quite literally no more than 10-15cm.

There was dead silence in the Landcruiser for 2 more corners, then we both started breathing again.

So - be careful on that road!

4. Very very tempting. I'm actually moving to Sydney in a few weeks so will have my hands full for a while exploring their roads. But it is definitely on my list of roads to do.

Gregg.

5. Man you want to try that on a gravel logging track.

The truck drivers wont go near the edge of the road that has the drop on it so if you're the car you may have to drive past on the wrong side of the road, usually while both travelling at 60-80km/h on a narrow gravel road and mid bend.

I worked out pretty quickly that the natural enemy of the Telstra Wagon in no particular order is the;
    Logging Truck,
    Kangaroo,
    Wombat,
    Bird (feathered not fingered variety).

6. It's worth going beyond Licola too, towards Arbuckle junction (from memory); that remains bitumen for a way.

BTW All of this road is 'technical'

Another good one down that way is Bairnsdale to Dargo. About 70k each way of mixed twisties and sweepers.

7. The road out the top of Licola is the Jamieson-Licola Rd, turns to dirt just out of Licola going north. The climb along the way to Mt. Skene is a beauty, scenery spectacular.
    The sealed road north of Licola, branches off the main Rd. just before the bridge-into-town and follows the river for about 15km before it turns to dirt. Another 35-40km along that road and past ??Bennison Lookout?? the road finishes at the Mt. XXX (can't remember) fire lookout tower, incredible views across Gippsland. Should be solar-panelled and camera-ed by now, there used to be a Fire Warden during the summers up there, literally living up there with supplies brought in by friends/ collegues via Licola. Great country. :D :D