Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic] Fitting grey import motor

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by mattb, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Hey All.

A wreckers nearby me has imported a bunch of grey SR400s to wreck, including engines. I've been thinking about getting a spare engine for my SR500, and after yesterday when mine spat the dummie (as yet undiagnosed, hopefully a clutch issue) I'm thinking it might end up the better long-term option to get one of these 400s - i.e. get a 15 year old engine in place of my 30 year old one, and then I've got a ready supply of parts between them to always make a good engine out of the two of them, with the younger engine in the bike. Most parts are interchangeable.

Anyway I'm waffling. Is there a complicated process to get a grey import engine onto my rego - I'm hoping it might be much easier than the messing about and expense involved in registering an import bike? A search turns up nothing, does anybody know?

2. call vicroads

As long as that engine was available in that frame from the factory it is relatively easy. You provide receipts for the new engine and it'll probably be inspected for the new numbers, registration is updated and off you go. Shouldn't take you more than a year and a grand in phone calls to sort it out with the bureaucracy.
  3. I would expect it would just be matter of updating the engine number with with vicroads however, nothing is ever simple with them!

Let us know how you get on.