Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC-fine riding a bike greater than a 250 on restrictictions

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by need4speed, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Hi

Just a quick question. What is the fine for riding a bike greater than a 250 whilst still on restrictions. Im still on my restrictions and am thinking of upgrading my zx2r to a new r6 (they are HOT!), and was wondering what the fine is if i get caught on an r6 whilst on restrictions? any thoughts?

2. It's like 100 bucks with no points but good luck getting your new bike insured ;)

3. As Kraven mentioned the bike will be uninsured and in the event of an accident you'll be considered 'unlicenced'. So it's unlikely you'll get TAC coverage as well.
    Just do the time like the rest of us, don't be part of the problem.

4. You can get it insured but I don't think you'll get any payments etc if something happens while you are still on restrictions if riding on the road. I'm buying a daytona 675 either slightly before my restrictions end or after, depending when the bike arrives in Australia and I can insure it. It doesn't matter if it's sitting in my garage (and it gets stolen/fire or so) and I'm not legally allowed to ride it, I still would be covered by full comprehensive (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong)

5. first off you have to have your full car licence its just a 140 dollar fine (i rang the cop shop to find out) other wise if you are on you car P's or L's you will lose both for 6 months.regerdless weather you are on your bike P's as well

6. can we make this question a sticky? people obviously can't use the search function :p

7. Also happy to be told that I'm spot on :cool:

8. or if ur lucky u wont get caught at all :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

9. Or require an Insurance Claim
    Here is a thread with some ideas on the subject of expiriance and high powered bikes.
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16174&start=0
    I am not saying you have to do anything about it, but you may want to have a think.

10. thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.

just for clarity what is the exact fine and will i bne covered by TAC if i have an accident?

11. Dont forget the fine for not displaying P plates. 3 points and $105.

12. every single time this topic comes up someone takes a guess about TAC coverage (why bother unless you know the facts?), it's incorrect TAC WILL cover your medical costs.

13. If you want a bigger bike get one, as long as you are aware of the potential consequences and are happy to take the risk go for it. Personally I love my little 250RR so i can happily wait, but otherwise I wouldn't think twice.

14. jeebus - this damned illegality gets asked so much it might as well save us some sweat and tears if it was made a damned sticky!

Then again, no use encouraging the blighters.

15. Re: VIC-fine riding a bike greater than a 250 on restrictict

This post concerns me greatly..... :? :? :? :shock: :shock:

16. Refer to http://www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au/Domin...df38e19dca256f6300208d41/$FILE/99-26sr026.pdf
    Section 303 pg.41

303. Variation, suspension or cancellation of driver
    licence or permit
    (1) The Corporation may vary, suspend or cancel a
    person's driver licence or learner permit if it
    appears to the Corporation that—

(i) the person has failed to comply with a
    condition of the licence or permit; or

Looks to me that the rules don't proscribe a penalty, but that a host of things could be applied if required.

17. Re: VIC-fine riding a bike greater than a 250 on restrictict

I think it's like ~100 big ones and a HOT brick on your head. :shock:

Think about it, are you really that desperate? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's maybe just me but can't you wait a little while longer? Seriously? :wink:

18. at least he's got a licence, a friend of mine and his brother own a 2002 gsxr600 (the race tuned telefonica version with yoshi pipe) neither of them have a bike licence, crazy kids. ](*,)

19. Why are people so eager to get to a bigger bike? :shock:

I mean I do understand why, but at the same time, the fact that we can ride something high powered after a minimum of 12 months is fairly good. The law is there for a reason, so we get some experience.

I personally wouldn't risk it, I dont have the money to waste on fines, nor would I want to risk losing my license.

20. i was bored of my 250 in about 2 weeks flat... the result of doing lots of commuting kms :?