Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] fine question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Bec, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Hi All,

I had my first off on Thursday, riding along on Beach road to work. the traffic was moving I was going along.

I dont remember exactly what happened, but I put it down to not fully paying attention.

From what I remember it looked like someone was turning into the petrol station and the car I hit was sitting behind it. I had my 2 car spacing, when I realised that the cars in front werent moving any more I hit the brakes and sailed into the back of the car. it had been raining and the road was yuck

I left a tyre mark on the car i hit, and only a little scrach and ding on the bike.

Now my question is: the police said that he is going to fine me for being too close.

I know that I wasnt too close, just really slow to react, I really shouldnt have been riding that morning.

Just wanted to know if it was worth contesting, and where does the too close rule kick in. I kept my spacing just wasnt fully paying attention..

2. Unfortunatly I think you have no way of beating that one, considering you ran up his arse.

If you say you were a long way back and didn't react in time you're leaving
    yourself open for driving without due care and attention.

Anyway glad you're ok, that's the main thing.
  3. its just a coppers way of saying u were at fault! i dont think u were at fault though. the conditions were pretty poor that morning but hey we all gotta ride in it from time to time. Maybe just try to knock slam on the breaks when its wet, try using a little engine braking and counter steer but hey its a quick response thing and those really cant be helped in crappy conditions.
    Good to see ur ok though :)
  4. You're too close if you can't stop before you hit the car in front. In this case you couldn't stop so were in fact too close. Maybe if the road was dry or you'd been more alert and reacted faster you could have stopped but you need to ride to the conditions.

I'm not critisizing you there, it's not my job to judge...., just answering the question honestly. :)

On the bright side, they could have nabbed you for neg driving so following too close is their way of going easy on you. :)
  5. Sorry Bec.
    The 2 second rule is a rule of thumb. In the wet it needs to be a lot more. And the faster you go the larger it needs to be.
    If you were to make your argument that you had a big enough gap but weren't paying close attention to what was happening, by your own admission they could possibly ping you for negligent driving.

The onus is always upon the rider/driver to ride/drive in a way to avoid an accident at all times. If you have run up the back of someone, for whatever reason, the blame will nearly always fall at your feet.

Cop it on the chin this time, and use it to figure out what you can do differently next time.
  6. I've been told by an instructor that it is more like 3 seconds these days, apparently to compensate for tired drivers i.e. worst scenario situations.

Would be interesting trying to maintain that in peak hour traffic though. :S
  7. Thanks guys.

Guess I will have to cop it, and by the sounds of it be thankful that I didnt land anything else.

My first driving offence in my entire driving/riding history so in 13 years thats a fair effort.

Does anyone know roughly what its going to cost and how many points I'll loose. I'm a tad worried as I'm only on my P's for riding ( Open for driving)

As a rule of thumb I usually leave 5 seconds between me and what ever in front.
  8. Usually just after you hit the vehicle in front of you :wink:

As mentioned the 2 second "rule" is a guide and you need to keep enough distance to allow for any emergency stop which you obviously failed to do because well, you hit the car in front.
  9. +1 Chef
    Sorry to hear Bec,
    looks like you'll have to cop the fine.
    :LOL: ^
  10. seems a bit harsh to give you a ticket. normally the cops would just leave it for insurance to sort out (unless it was due to irresponsible driving or breaking the law). It must have been a slow day for him to give you a ticket, but within his call.

sounds harsh but yeah you went into the back of a car so your at fault. there's no way around it.
  11. Commiserations Bec. That sux.

By the way, what was a cop doing there for a minor traffic incident????

+1 Chef.
  12. Being too close is a 1-point offence, and whatever the minimum traffic fine is.

Could've been charged with negligent driving instead, which probably would've been more appropriate, and would've cost you quite a deal more.

As above though, when in the wet, a 4-sec gap is a more appropriate rule of thumb. Also a good ideal to not position yourself directly behind cars, but more to one side. That way if something does completely surprise you, or you just screw up from not watching, it's a simple quick swerve to go beside the stopped car rather than into the back of it.
  13. might have been a bit of target fixation too.
    I think one realises too late that moving a few feet either way would have missed everything.
  14. Well how efficient is that..

I have my fine in hand $153 and 1 point....

I actually had 2 lots of coppers attend. a paddy wagon and a biker cop...

Funily enough they wrote me down as a fully licensed rider....... :p :p :p
  15. Actually the concerning bit is you think you are on P's for bike and full for car. :? I dosn't work like that in Victoria. If you have a full car license then you have a full bike license. If you're in your 1st year of licensed riding, then there are restrictions attached to your full license. P'plates are not required. The cops got it right, I think you're confusing restrictions with P's. :wink: :)
  16. You've been driving since you were 13 years old??

If you do have an unblemished record for that long you should write a letter to the address listed on the ticket asking for a caution to be issued in lieu of the fine. You should mention things like no one being injured, minor damage etc etc and attach a copy of your driving record (which you should be able to obtain from VicRoads). You may be surprised at the outcome.
  17. LOL my bad... I cant count either..

Im getting another year older in a few weeks.. been driving since I was 15. so coming up 12 years.....