Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC]- exhaust legalities

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by mr_messy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. I was considering buying a slip-on exhaust for my k7gixer750.

My question is about the cat-converter.
    Some aftermarket systems bypass having a cat altogether (Akropovic shorty and the M4 slipons) whereas the yoshi r55 has one.

I vaguely remember a conversation about removing cats from cars but if caught there was a huge fine.
    Would this also be the case for bikes?

I'm aware that I could get done for noise pollution. Most aftermarket systems are not legal.

2. as far as I would know, the cat converter is put in there to make the vehicle comply with the pollution norms...and hence given the approval stamp to be on the road.
    Once taken off, that approval stamp goes invalid, aka, the vehicle would be considered unfit for the road unless there is another batch of tests conducted on the vehicle again and approved without the cat converter on.

And am sure this rule affects every motorvehicle on the public road.
  3. I got a two brothers slip on for my k7 750, Removed the cat converter. Its ok, most aftermarket pipes for the k7 750 are put on with without the cat converter. Even the yoshi! I think from the k8 onwards the cat converter cant be removed unless a full aftermarket system in installed.
    Mate get what ever pipe you want, if the cat needs to be removed then remove it:D
  4. Not sure exactly.

For what it's worth, the emissions requirements for Australia can't be that tight, because the Australian delivered Triumph Tiger 1050 has no cat converter. There's a plain piece of stainless pipe welded in its place.

On the other hand - and this is speculation which I can't doublecheck due to being incredibly frickin' busy today - I suspect deletion of the cat might be considered tampering with emissions controls. I know that's a problem for car modifications. Not sure if it applies to bikes.
  5. Are aftermarket megacycle or staintune pipes legal? I got quoted $600 for one for my CB400.
  6. I'd say it's the same as for noise. Removing the cat may cause you to fail emissions requirements (or not), but in any case if you refit the original before any tests you'll be okay
  7. I had a look at the ADRs a few weeks ago to check on this very subject. Apart from a generic, State based prohibition on making visible smoke, a requirement to operate on unleaded petrol and, of course, the noise limits we're all aware of, there are no regulations covering emission control for motorcycles. We get bikes with cats, etc. because that's how they're made for other markets.

Bikes in Australia are not required to have cats. Whilst removal of a cat from a bike may be frowned on by your local EPA, I doubt if anything could be made to stick because removal doesn't render the vehicle non-compliant with the ADRs.
  8. WOOOO HOOOOO!!!... slip-on here I err almost come. C'mon Aussie dollar!!!
    AU 0.8935 Waiting for it to hit the 90 or more ehehe oi oi oi
  9. To cover my own arse, I recommend you visit Dotars website and check for yourself. It is also likely that any overseas aftermarket pipe will not be marked as compliant with the appropriate noise standards and would probably be, technically, too loud.

I don't particularly care about such things, but you might :grin:.
  10. yeah order from the US mate. I saved a bundle getting my pipe from the US.
    Pipe was shipped to me under a week:D
  11. The noise issue I don't care much about either. It was just the thought of copping a massive fine for not having a cat that was really bothering me.
    Probably too much reading for that Dotars anyway lol