Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC - Engine Swap

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by insty, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing a MadAss that has had an engine conversion from the stock 125 to a 150 (YX150).

It currently has rego for the old engine and has not been checked with the new engine yet.

Is someone able to explain what the process would be for getting a RWC sorted? I am taking that it would most likely need to be engineered, however I am not 100% sure.

2. Popover and introduce yourself in the welcome thread before this gets locked by a Mod, mate.
  3. Thanks for the heads up. Done.
  4. I'm no expert but I think you need to get an engineer's certificate. Do some research about them and you might find what your after.
  5. Oh boy... That could be a whole nther can of worms there...

Firtsly, does either engine have an engine number on it somewhere?

You might get lucky if the old does & the new one does not, that could be easily fixed ;)

Otherwise, you need the current registered owner to advise Vicroads of the engine swap & it may or may not require an engineers certificate.

Give Vicroads a call & see how you go, but be warned, you can call up 3 times & get 5 different answers with those guys.
  6. Buying unregistered? It would want to be cheap. That's the kind of prblem you want the seller to deal with. Engineer's certificates aren't cheap.

Hypothetically, why would you mention the capacity upgrade when going for a RWC inspection? If a blown 125 motor was replaced with an ebay 125 motor, you would be in the same boat re. engine numbers but wouldn't be looking at an engineer's certificate.
  7. So, I got my answer after a bit of chasing around.

The Engineer said it wasn't possible as the bike is LAMS approved and unless the engine is authorized by Sachs as a direct replacement (or factory option) then it cannot be engineered.

It will need to have the original engine placed back in (which he doesn't have) then it should be good to go.

Now obviously with this news I've decided to scrap the idea and look into something that will be a bit more practical to register... Haha.

Thanks for the help.