Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] End of restricted license question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by dazza139, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. Hi

    I'm just about to come off my restriction for my motorcycle license. I was just wondering whether or not I get issued a new license or whether I just continue to use the current one. I'm off back to NZ and can ride on a full overseas motorcycle license without any problems in NZ. I'm just worried that the restriction that's printed on the back of my license might confuse someone over there especially when I want to test ride a new SPRINT ST :)

    Can anyone help?
  2. You'll be using the same license you have now, but as of the date printed on the back of the license (next to the restrictions) you'll be unrestricted. Any policedude checking the license will turn it over to verify the date.

    You'll go to bed the night restrictions end, stuck to riding 250s (and LAMS bikes now I guess), no pillion, no alcohol, and when you wake up you can ride a Hayabusa with a pillion and a 0.049BAC level.

    Like Christmas. But potentially more irresponsible.
  3. The alternative is to accidently "lose" or damage your licence and ask VicRoads for a replacement once you've got past the restrictions date. They will charge you for that though. I can't remember how much.
  4. The restriction clearly has an end date printed on the license.
    Next problem?
  5. Actually I can relate to this.
    Travelled last year (as my licence still has the end restriction date printed) and it casued all sorts of issues at a car hire company and with some local police (both places where english is known but not the primary language).
    They clearly get edgey around the word 'restriction' regardless of the self explanitory nature of the licence.

    If you intend to travel, get it changed.
  6. I was at Vicroads anyway and just asked them if I could get a new one without the date on it.

    They happily obliged and I got a new photo too.

    All for free.