Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Does body corporate have powers to evict?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by kittiminx, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I'd be really grateful for any advice:
    (Sorry if this is in the wrong place, and it's a bit long as well :( )

We are renting a flat, and the attached car space is a brick carport (looks just like a garage without the door). I would like to put a roller door on for better security, as my partner's Triumph 675 was lifted from the carport last year. It's been replaced by the insurance company but the new one is being kept in his parents garage 20 kms away, which is really crap. (I'm looking at getting a new bike myself as well, so we would be keeping both in there)

So we asked the owner of the flat if we could put a door on at our own expense (we plan on staying here a while) and she was perfectly happy for us to go ahead. So then we tried to get permission from the body corporate, but it turns out the access to the communal hot water system is through the back of the carport, and they are concerned about access for maintenance. We offered to give the body corporate management a key, and to provide access 24/7 ourselves also, but they want us to have a electronic code lock (costs $165 and would be at our expense) so they can give the code to the plumber when required.
    We aren't happy about this as it seems a bit insecure, what if the plumber tells his mates etc and the bikes get stolen, I don't think the insurance company would be too happy about the arrangement either.

To make things worse, the body corporate won't give us an answer either way, we asked months ago and i've tried calling and emailing, but the management just blames the chairman (who is a woman who lives in the building, and she doesn't answer her door bell either)

So what i was wondering, if we go ahead and just get the door installed, and sort out the access problem after the fact, can the body corporate evict us, or somehow retaliate in other ways?

ie: how much power do they have?

2. It's often easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

3. Sophie, this one of those things that I think you really do need professional advice on. Us armchair experts could give you a really crap steer and that wouldn't be right.

Practically though, if you are essentially locking away a service that might require emergency access, even a 24*7 commitment from you wouldn't be practical. What if you are away, can't grant access for 2hrs etc...

I can see both your points, but maybe there are other options available?

4. Electronic codes can be changed after being issued & used by tradesmen!

5. Enough to remove whatever unauthorised "improvements" and charge you (or your landlord) for their removal.

You'd be in breach of your lease, and lose bond etc.

Cheaper to move to a place with a garage?

6. "What if the tradesman tells his mates"" is like "What if a thief has an angle-grinder?"

Get the electronic keypad. If body corporate are happy with it, then go with it.
    The model I have at work can have different codes programmed in, so you can review who was the last person in, etc.

BUT, also: electronic strike's aren't particularly tough. I use a great big padlock to secure my workshop after-hours.

Still chain your bikes up.

There is no substitute for a Rottweiler.

7. Set yourself to shift house soon. Soph. Easiest option. Buy a house as soon as you can.

8. Like what i did sinking two anchor points into the corners of our car space. If i went along with the bureaucracy i'd have lost a second bike by now :roll:
    I'm an owner so I don't answer to a landlord, but all the tenants who ride have left the complex due to inability to secure their bikes.

Everything that goes to a strata vote gets smacked down by the few self involved numpties that bother to vote even though it has nothing to do with them :mad:

...anyway, i'm an owner so its different.

Don't tell an owner that they can't do something because you, as a landlord, won't let your tenant do it :evil:

...especially a stubborn owner :twisted:

9. They can make your life a PITA. The keypad is not bad and as said you can change the number, they do have the right to a right of way as this is a communal service. So key pad and big fcuking bolt or two in the floor with a serious lock, should do the trick!

10. Thanks for all the comments, I think i'll go with the keypad option and put in a couple of anchor points as well for good measure, and hope that is enough of a deterrent - at the end of the day, if someone really wants the bikes they'll be gone anyway, I'm just trying to make it more difficult.

It's going to work out at about $10 a week over two years to put the door on, and we'd have to pay much more than that to move to a place with a garage in the area, so it's worth our while at the moment. (especially as the owner is giving us a really good rent, she's a friend of a friend of my mum's) The plan is to get our deposit together by december next year for our own place, but in the meantime i'd like to be able to sleep at night with the babies downstairs! :LOL: Thanks everyone!

11. Cool, just make it hard for the lowlifes and make sure your insurance is paid up! :grin: