Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Community Road Safety COnsultation Sessions

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by TonyE, Oct 1, 2009.

1. COMMUNITY VIEWS SOUGHT ON IMPROVING ROAD SAFETY
    Friday, 25 September 2009

The Brumby Labor Government is inviting Victorians to have their say on what needs to be done to improve safety on Victoria’s roads as part of its ambitious Arrive Alive strategy.

Roads and Ports Minister Tim Pallas said despite record low road tolls, too many people were dying and suffering serious injuries on Victoria’s roads, with almost 20,000 people injured every year over the last five years.

“We understand that people are concerned about safety on Victorian roads, that’s why the Brumby Labor Government is taking action to improve community safety and drive down the road toll” Mr Pallas said.
    “Road safety is a community effort and requires all Victorian road users to share the responsibility, so we want to know what people think about how to best tackle the road toll into the future.

“With our first action plan due to conclude in 2010, we’re going back to the community to get their feedback as the starting point to build on these improvements for our next set of initiatives.”

Community consultation sessions will be held across Victoria, starting on Tuesday, 6 October 2009, to develop the second action plan for Victoria’s Arrive Alive 2008-2017 strategy.
    Mr Pallas said while Victoria’s road toll hit a record low in 2008, there was more that could be done to reduce the number of people killed and seriously injured on the state’s roads.

“Victoria’s evidence-based and innovative approach to roads safety is delivering results with the road toll of 303 last year, the lowest since records commenced in 1951,” he said.

“As part of this latest round of community consultation, we will be seeking additional ideas on tackling areas such as aggressive driving, our ageing population, drug-driving as well as continuing to look for new approaches to saving lives by targeting speed and young drivers.”
    The key initiatives of the Arrive Alive First Action Plan 2008-2010 included:
    • $650 million over ten years in road and roadside improvements;

• New campaigns to increase uptake of vehicles with safety features and the mandating for important safety features such as electronic stability control;

• Tackling drug-driving with new education campaigns and increased enforcement with an additional 20,000 drug tests per year;

• A new Graduated Licensing System for young drivers incorporating peer passenger restrictions and assisting disadvantaged learner drivers gain practical experience;

• A tough new focus on drink-driving with a range of new fines and regulations; and
    • Strategic enforcement with new intelligence based and highly visible enforcement measures to counteract behaviour that puts all road users at risk.
    “Before we developed the first action plan, a range of community group meetings was held and played a significant role in developing new initiatives,” Mr Pallas said. “I urge Victorians to attend the next round of meetings to help shape our next wave of actions to keep our road toll one of the lowest in the world.”

Public forums (all between 7-9pm) will be held at the following time and location:
    • Tuesday 6 October, Victoria University, 460 Ballarat Road, Sunshine;

• Monday 12 October, Clarion Hotel, Cnr Springvale and Canterbury Roads, Forest Hill;
    • Thursday 22 October, Mercure Hotel, Gheringhap Street, Geelong;

• Wednesday 28 October, Country Comfort Parklake, 481 Wyndham Street, Shepparton;
    • Wednesday 4 November, Comfort Inn Bell Tower, 1845 Sturt Street, Ballarat;
    • Thursday 12 November, Bendigo Bank Theatre, 50 View Street, Bendigo;
    • Wednesday 18 November, Archie Graham Community Centre, 118 Timor Street, Warrnambool;

• Tuesday 24 November, LaTrobe Convention Centre, Princes Highway, Traralgon; and
    • Monday 30 November, Horsham Sports and Community Club, 117-179 Baillie Street, Horsham.

Victorians are also invited to share their views via email at arrivealive@roads.vic.gov.au

2. What's the point?
    Everyone knows that lowering speed limits and increasing the number of Speed Cameras will be the solution.

3. MORE SPEED CAMERAS! yea!

Seriously though, how about simply enforcing the existing laws, it's that simple. I'm talking about the basics like obeying traffic signs, road markings etc. I see cagers doing unbelievable maneuvers every day that put themselves and others in danger. E.g. changing lanes without indicating or looking, like the 'tard on the tulla freeway in the right lane that was about to miss the exit and swerved across all the lanes narrowly missing the concrete barrier. That kind of stuff. It's not that hard!

4. The only safe speed is zero if you think about it! We should all just walk instead of using vehicles, oh wait! walking means you're moving >0 km/h.

5. I've seen too many falling pianos, anvils and cannon balls to believe that even standing still is safe any more

6. oh dear :tantrum:

7. Love to see the demographics of the people that are likely to be bothered turning up to these forums.

Camry drivers, pensioners, crazy cat lady, and the local gossip.

Yay.

8. See that at least once a week, and nearly been taken out a couple of times.

Get a visible presence by police and drivers actually start to look around and check mirrors and be aware of whats happening in there space, not fixating on speedos and road side cameras.

9. Well, despite their stated commitment to even more ("intelligence based":eek:) enforcement measures, I've sent off a few ideas based on other simple and cheap ways to make roads safer. Nobody will profit from them, so who knows whether John Hungry's boys will be interested...

10. So - if a few of the people from here that can walk and talk at the same time turned up - maybe they might get their message across.

If riders can't be stuffed turning up - then why should they be stuffed listening? :soapbox:

John K is going to the one at Forest Hill (and I'll try to get there).

11. Now thats the smartest thing I've read in a while!
    I'll go to Bendigo. Anyone else?

12. Any ones near Richmond?

13. Richmond? Where's that... :grin:

Public forums (all between 7-9pm) will be held at the following time and location:

• Tuesday 6 October, Victoria University, 460 Ballarat Road, Sunshine;

• Monday 12 October, Clarion Hotel, Cnr Springvale and Canterbury Roads, Forest Hill;

• Thursday 22 October, Mercure Hotel, Gheringhap Street, Geelong;

• Wednesday 28 October, Country Comfort Parklake, 481 Wyndham Street, Shepparton;

• Wednesday 4 November, Comfort Inn Bell Tower, 1845 Sturt Street, Ballarat;

• Thursday 12 November, Bendigo Bank Theatre, 50 View Street, Bendigo;

• Wednesday 18 November, Archie Graham Community Centre, 118 Timor Street, Warrnambool;

• Tuesday 24 November, LaTrobe Convention Centre, Princes Highway, Traralgon; and

• Monday 30 November, Horsham Sports and Community Club, 117-179 Baillie Street, Horsham.

14. Outer west or outer east in Melbourne sheesh.:roll:

15. Where's the one in Forest Hill? I might come along.

EDIT: Ninja post, I see it now.

16. Could be interesting, its good they are consulting the community for some fresh ideas. I will try and get along to the forest hill one.

+1 for more visible police presence, far too many drivers struggling with even the simplest things like obeying give way or keep left signs around the place.

17. Funny that they don't have any close to the CBD. I guess we don't use the roads here in the city, so we don't really count.

It is a shame, because I think it would be good to go. Sure, the end result might be an increase in speed cameras (I read the other day that the Vic Gov had a record take from speed cameras last financial year!), but if we don't even bother turning up to have our voice heard we can't blame them for not listening to motorcycle riders when they plan their road use strategies.

I see more motorcycles and scooters every day in the city. In my apartment building alone I reckon there are twice as many bikes as when we moved here a coupe of years ago. We see new bicycle lanes going in, and money spent on painting white safety boxes at the traffic lights for bicycles. Why? Is it because motorists love cyclists so much? Hell no. It is because they are active and have a voice. As a result the laws are changed for them, and safety measures are put into place. There is an exception to the 'no passing on the left' rule for bicycles that was not there when I got my license, specifically to allow bikes to move up to the front at the lights. Why shouldn't the same exception apply to motorcycles?

I don't see the point at scoffing at these community forums. That doesn't achieve anything. Maybe attending won't achieve anything either, but it has a better chance than not attending does.

18. i'll be attending the forest hill night. i'll be the mc rider advocating higher speed limits and less policing.

19. Here's an idea. a quick look in Vic events tells me theres half a dozen + coffee nights. Why dont regulars decide on one to go to thats reasonably close and on their night and all head over for that night.