Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic] Clarification on "No Standing" rules

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Dostalgia, May 16, 2009.

1. New to Aus, and i am confused with the "No Standing" rule,
    does it applies to Motorcycles?

as i have read VicRoad Road Rules (rule 167), the only mention is driver, but does not mention of driver, the illustrations are only subjected to cars

also, on the introduction, they specified driver and rider as very separate categories.

point to note, i had my license converted from overseas, so am unsure about this.

cheers!~

2. By Laws apply to motorcycles as they do any vehicle.

No Stopping is very different to No Standing and are often confused

3. A parking inspector once told me that if you park in front of the pole and can read it you get a fine BUT if you park imediatly behind it or 20ft behind it they couldn't fine me even tho i was in a space behind it on the foot path

4. Rule 167 is the "No Stopping" rule. Rule 19 covers the combined reference of Driver and Rider:

5. I believe No Standing no longer exists and has been replaced by No Stopping instead.

Still the same meaning on the roadside of the signs though.

6. So what are all those no standing signs I see everywhere in Melbourne then?

7. Nup
    The signs are everywhere. :?

8. *deep breath*
    There are signs ALL OVER MELBOURNE AND ITS SUBURBS that say IN WORDS
    NO STANDING or NO STANDING ANY TIME
    We are talking about Victoria not NSW

They are everywhere
    [​IMG]

If they are being phased out then that's another matter.

9. Smee:

The "No Standing" signs in Victoria are the old ones that were around before the Road Rules Vic 1999 were introduced. They are described in the Road Rules in Schedule 3.

They were replaced by the "S" (meaning no stopping) as described in Schedule 2.

They have the same meaning under the road rules in Victoria.

10. Read my last sentence.
    There are still a large number of those still around.
    Too costly to replace?

but thanks to the both of you guys for the clarification. noted

11. Pretty much too costly. The old ones are still applicable, but they are only being replaced when they are due for replacement.