Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC: Cancelled car license, can I get Motorbike Learners?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by RideTheSolarWinds, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    First post here and probably not the best introduction post!

I am just wondering if my car license has been cancelled does this effect me applying for a motorcycle learners permit in Victoria?

I have been told by a few people it won't effect me applying for my motorbike learners but i'm just wanting confirmation.

Thanks for any help!

2. You cannot get your motorcycle license if you have no licence.
  3. Doesn't seem to say that for getting a learners permit on the vicroads site:

Only says that you need to be at least 18 and be a Victorian resident? I might be missing something though, could you please clarify? It's probably obvious but I just want to make sure.
  4. A relevant question might be, if you have already lost your car licence, do you really want to be on a bike?
  5. It is a very relevant question to ask indeed, actually I lost my license for blowing .07 with not a single prior offence or fine. I'm not gonna try and justify anything or give myself excuses, I just thought I was good to drive.

Just wanting a motorbike to get to work, the shops and then home everyday. I think I would be fine to ride a bike, it's something i've always wanted to do but something i've always put off because i've had the car. Obviously I can't use my car at the moment so i'd love to start riding.

Even when I get my license back a bike is a far better option for my daily drive, fuel saving is huge and I can park it in a much safer spot where I work (I unfortunately have walked out many times to find somebody has hit my car and not left a single note or anything).
  6. not untill you serve out your disqualification in full.
  7. if you lose your bike license you also lose your car license, so it would be the same the other way round i would think
  8. What thera said. You are disqualified from driving / riding in Victoria till the disqualification period is over.
  9. The bus looks good.
  10. To elaborate on this point, you only hold ONE license to operate vehicles on the road, not separate licenses for each vehicle.

Your one license lists what vehicle endorsements you have earned; eg: car, bike, truck, etc. If your license is taken away for misbehaving under one of your endorsements, then you've lost all of them.
  11. Case closed Spots. Well said!
  12. The looop hole years ago was before you were notifyed you applyed for you bike Ls,that was stopped a very long time ago and that is why so many of my stupid mates dont have full bike licanses,they would stay on there Ls and not sit the test,some were on Ls for years,no points on Ls,and then they lost interst in bikes and now have no bike licanse,there is at least 3 or 4 blokes i know like this who would love to have a spin on my bikes but cannot.
  13. This is true now but it wasn't always the case, back in the mid 80's I had separate car and bike licenses, and the judge was nice enough to let me keep my bike license when he suspended my car license.

He said something about "having to ride 40kms on a motorbike in the middle of victoria in the middle of winter at 7 in the morning... well that's a lesson in itself" and then he sort of smirked :LOL:

I remember being mildly annoyed when they did finally combine them into one license.
  14. Interesting, I didn't know that was the case way-back-when.

Sounds like the judge had a sense of humour in your case! Having done the Melb->Geelong commute at 7 in the morning all through winter on a VTR250, I'd probably agree with him! :LOL:
  15. In a nutshell, the answer to the OP's question is NO!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.