Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Cameras between geelong and Melbourne

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by oohsam, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Heyall.
    Recently did a trip down to the great ocean road. Great ride.
    On the way back I knew there were cameras between geelong and melbourne mounted on various bridges...

Question, I recall being over the speed limit going under one bridge and i looked back and saw the camera mounted...cant be sure if it zapped me..everyone was doing about the same speed but thats not the point!!

How effective are the fixed speed cameras on bikes, i ask becuase there is a speed check point on the fway and it clocked me at about 11ks under what i was doing..but im not sure if they use the same technology..

has anyone been done on that fway...I know there are about 8 cameras on that freeway...i think 3 are forward facing the others are rear facing.

Cheers.

2. Hi Oohsam, Most of these cameras along the Geelong rd are elapsed time cameras. That means they note your license plate at the first camera, then again at the next camera a few K's along and calculate your average speed between the two points. So if your average speed between the two points is lower than the limit you are OK.

As you have said some are forward facing and some are rear facing. The rear facing ones will grab bike number plates without much trouble. The elapsed time cameras I believe do have a higher threshold set than the standard radar cameras though. Not sure what the difference is.

These elapsed time cameras are appearing all up and down the Hume and Geelong rd now.

http://bigtrev.com/index.php/2006/02/24/speed-camera-locations-victoria/

3. The speed check device on the Geelong Princes Freeway citybound is spot on. I checked it against my GPS last weekend. Both indicated that I was doing 101 km/h. The car next to me was going a tad faster. His read 103 km/h.

Now, whether the speed cameras themselves use the same technology is another matter.

Thing is I was on the lookout for them, but I must admit that I didn't pay too much attention to them, so I ended up not spotting them. No doubt the locals know where they all are, but if they're point to point cameras then short of being able to speed past one and get off before the next camera, it probably won't make much difference.

4. Wrong. The cameras on Glg-Melb road are currently used as instantaneous only, not average speed like the Hume Hwy. The two closest to Melb, at Millers Rd (gantry outbound, not bridge btw) and Forsthe Rd shoot the rear, the two Glg side of the BP servos near Little River and Lara shoot the front. They don't flash in the traditional sense as the flash is an infra red unit.

So if you went through just after the speed checker you are okay.

:)

5. Yep -I got to agree with tito, the cameras along the Geelong freeway are not point to point average. I have personally tested this on a number of occasions (as a service to the riding population of course) & if they were point to point I would now be walking :LOL: :LOL:

6. thanks heaps fo the replys guys. Im feelin a bit more confident now.....There were times where I was doing above teh average speed by a little so if they were point to point i woulda copped it. I guess i still ahve to just play the waiting game. I'll deall with it if it comes but I just wanted clarification..

U guys rock.
    Peace.

7. I got done for 115 heading east in early February from a device at the Avalon Bridge...I thought I was being cautious, keeping an eye out for parked vehicles and fixed cameras, obviously I was not cautious enough.

The fine took around one month to appear in my mailbox.

Good luck!

8.  Top
  9. The PR was clearly that the Geelong road cameras were timed point to point... what happened???

So does that mean, all my ducking into the emergency lane at every second inductance loop was in vain!?!? :?

10. Really? I remember that they were 'advertised' as being average speed cameras (what ever you call em').
    I wonder how long they've been operating as the other type?

11. Ducking into the emergency lane on the Hume won't help you - the inductor loops are all the way across!

However it's worth noting the first 2 in the '5' on the Hume are the two front facing cameras on the new Cragieburn bypass.

12. And a tip in the geelong road... aside from the sign after the bridge, all speed cameras are bridge mounted, not on signs...

13. Just to clarify all people - they are instantaneous cameras - NOT average speed between cameras.

The speed detector coming out of Geelong is quite accurate.

14. I'm really not sure about that. For about 8 months I was commuting from Williamstown to Geelong and back; I'd sometimes see crews servicing/recalibrating them, and for a few weeks they'd be nice and accurate again across all three lanes.

But after a while one or two of the lanes would always start to display weird numbers. Three cars in line-abreast formation, matching speeds, would see (for example) 97, 98, and 105kph.

Similarly the one on the Hume Highway (110kph zone) once claimed I was only doing 100, when my VTR's speedo said 117ish and GPS said 112kph.

Generally they're accurate, but I wouldn't rely on them. "But officer, the sign said my speedo is overstating speed by 15kph!"

15. They were being advertised as that for some time... just that function never actually got turned on... whether or not they are capable i don't know.

16. That's why they have the word "advisory" in the sign........

17. Then if this is the case, why do they use the same technology in the gear that they use to fine you?

If these advisory signs are well, advisory only, then there are a hell of a lot of people getting fines when they shouldn't be, if we go by what some of you are saying here about these speed check devices' reliability.

18. Well, I can't think of any logical reason why the advisory devices would sometimes offer bizarre numbers. It's not like the piezoelectric sensors can move relative to each other, etc. Maybe they just get grumpy.

Cameras are set to a fairly high tolerance, too - 3kph over-speed allowance for the VIC road laws, and another 3kph to allow for possible error.

But were a fixed speed camera behave in a similar fashion, it'd manifest itself pretty obviously - instead of (say) 1 in 1000 vehicles speeding past the camera, you'd see 900 in 1000 and the fellow reviewing the images would begin to scratch his or her head.

19. Mate, when you find the answer to that question let me know cos I'd love to know the answer as well.

I noticed they added the word Advisory to a lot of these Highway speed checkers as soon as the inacuracy question started to be asked & cameras started to pop up everywhere.

20. You're giving this fellow too much credit for showing initiative and being able to think without direct supervision. Plus, his job specs probably doesn't allow it. Much like insurance assessors whose prime directive, as it were, is to deny, deny, deny.