Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC bunch of Qs regarding SPADAs, RWC & mechanic inspect

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by samtastic, Aug 27, 2009.

1. hi all,
    im planning on test riding a spada at some point soon. It's located at a dealer in the city, so i was thinking i would ride it out to Kensington to find some quieter roads (im only a newbie to riding, but i used to live in Ken, so know the area). And i was wondering if anyone could recommend a bike mechanic in the Kensington/North Melbourne area to have a quick look over the bike and tell me what they think. I've read through Netrider's 'guide to buying a secondhand bike', but i dont know *that* much about motos or have any mates that do. So i was hoping i could get a pro to have a quick geez.

And regarding spadas, apart from the faded speedo/tacho dials, what other ways can you spot a grey import versus one that was originally sold here?

Also, with RWCs, for how long are they valid? Is it 12 months? And are there different requirements for older bikes?

One more: I always see riders creeping through traffic at stopped traffic lights. Is this perfectly legal? I know that 'lane-splitting' isn't, as that's one of the laws mentioned in the Vic ride's Road to Solo Riding manual (or whatever it's called). but is this traffic-creeping the same as lane-splitting? Surely the creeping would be ok, since the traffic is stopped, and a bike will have a faster take-off anyway, so be ahead of the pack and more visible, right?

cheers : )

2. oh one more!

unless im misunderstanding the Vicroads website, if i buy a motorbike from a private seller, and the bike is still currently registered, it'll only cost about $100 to transfer the rego across to my name (that's $5 transfer fee + a motor vehicle duty fee of ($3500/$200 x $5) source: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...s20092010/TransferandMotorVehicleDutyFees.htm

plus some other fees perhaps?

but if i buy a bike from a dealer, and the deal doesnt include rego, it's about $600.

Is this right?

3. RWC's dont last a year, i think one month, should be on the vic roads site. Either way you should transfer the bike/car you just bought as soon as possible.

Lane splitting is illegal, even when the cars are stopped. Don't worry about it that though, most people do it. I found learning to ride that i didn't do it at first, and gradually became comfortable with it.

Rego is more like 400$ (check on vic roads site) for a 250, whether you buy an unregistered bike at a dealer or privately you will have to pay rego. Mkae sure you get a bike with RWC imho

4. oh one more!

unless im misunderstanding the Vicroads website, if i buy a motorbike from a private seller, and the bike is still currently registered, it'll only cost about $100 to transfer the rego across to my name (that's $5 transfer fee + a motor vehicle duty fee of ($3500/$200 x $5) source: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...s20092010/TransferandMotorVehicleDutyFees.htm

plus some other fees perhaps?

but if i buy a bike from a dealer, and the deal doesnt include rego, it's about $600.

Is this right?

5. oh ok, so a RWC is only for when you are buying/selling a bike?
    if you have an RWC, does that mean that it doesn't have to be inspected when you go to register the bike?

Im planning on getting a bike with a RWC, simply as reassurance that it's in working order.

thanks for putting me straight (or at least a little bit)

6.  Top
  7. To transfer registration or register a bike in your name , you will need a current RWC (Roadworthy certificate), these are more often arranged by the dealer when you purchase through them (eg rideaway deal), and usually negotiated with a private seller (either they are providing one, or you worry about it yourself or something inbetween). Roadworthy Certificates are only Valid for 30 days.

By the calculator on the vicroads site a $3500 bike would cost $149.50 in transfer fees. 12months registration according to that calc is $613 if parked in melbourne cbd (sounds like too much to me)

If the bike doesn't have Rego or RWC yes you need to pay for both.

A RWC isn't a guarantee of a bike in good condition, only that it is roadworthy, good tyres and brakes no nasty oil leaks etc, but may well blow up tomorrow :)

8. To register the bike in your name you must have RWC. If the bike is currently registered in vic or within 3 months of last rego'd, you dont have to go over the pits. Otherwise you have to go over the pits and have a RWC (or whatever they do).

RWC definitely isnt a reassurance that the bike is mechanically sound, but there are other really important reasons to buy a bike with an RWC.

IMHO you should buy a bike which

-has an RWC
    - you have done a REVS check on
    - You have checked isnt under finance and maybe payed the 11$ or whatever to get proof it isn't underfinance

it doesn't sound like you have done this before so here are a few additional points
    - the bike is currently rego'd in vic (or within 3 months of it)
    - possibly isn't from a dealer, or at least check out previous peoples experience with that dealer

As far as engine checks go, im no mechanic but ask to have the bike started when engine is cold.
    -look for exhaust smoke other than a bit of moisture
    -listen for strange noises
    - see that it revs properly
    then ride or have the owner ride around for a bit and repeat. If your still worried get a mechanic to look at it. If it passes the above you should be ok (other than low compression which you need to test specifically)