Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic] Basic Bike Maintenance courses at TAFE, etc etc....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Grunge, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Hey,

Can anyone reccomend me any basic bike maintenance courses from, TAFE or anything, especially near the knox area.
    Just wanted to do a quick basic course, on weekly maintenance, and even a quick oil change on the bike (as it seems easy enough from what I read on these forums.)

I've tried looking at the TAFE short courses in Box Hill, Holmsglen and a couple of other Uni's, but I can't seem to find any other than Car maintenance courses.....
  2. There have been courses at Holmesglen until recently. Perhaps, you could give them a call.
    I did one there and it was very informative.
    An alternative is to do a small engines course like at Kangan Batman TAFE.
  3. Damn that the search engine is broken, there's a few good theads to do with TAFE , but using "TAFE" in search doesn't bring them up. I know I've posted in at least 2 of them in the past 6 months
  4. Those threads were deleted as the word TAFE is offensive to some of our university-educated members.

Seriously though, Deano ran a basic maintenance course a few months back and would probably do another one (PNUT on the forums) - you'd learn just as much, meet a bunch of Netriders and the only cost is that you have to tell Deano how cool he is and how clever his race crates idea is... Why not start buggin' him?

Oil/filter changes are a doddle. If I can do them, any bastard can.
  5. Point... I'll start to bug the hell out of him, heck I don't mind paying someone for their time as it's an investment to me. :p
  6. Changing your oil in 24 easy steps, by Loz:

1) Buy correct type of oil for your bike. Ask the guy in the bike shop what that is.
    2) Buy oil filter for your bike
    3) Swear loudly at price of bike oil and filter.
    4) Put drip tray under bike. Extra points if you use an oven tray. Bonus round if it's way too small.
    5) Unscrew sump plug, forgetting that engine is still hot
    6) Burn hands as hot oil pisses out, lose rubber grommet from sump plug in rapidly overflowing baking tray of hot oil.
    7) Fish around in hot oil for rubber grommet with pointy stick.
    8) Swear loudly as oil flow slows down and is caught by the wind, blowing it all over your driveway and possibly trousers.
    9) Try to unscrew oil filter with oily hands. Fail.
    10) Take unneccesarily oversized wrench to oil filter. Remove, ensuring nice even oil coverage of your downpipes.
    11) Spill oil from the filter on your driveway before balancing it precariously on corner of oven tray.
    12) Swear loudly as filter falls into oven tray and spills more oil on your driveway.
    13) After spending 10 minutes trying to remove ridiculously tight plastic from new oil filter, screw it in.
    14) Swear softly, unscrew new filter, apply small film of oil to seal, re-screw filter.
    15) Begin to pour new oil in, spilling fresh, ludicrously expensive oil on your engine casings.
    16) Swear very loudly and attempt to screw sump plug and grommet back in as oil pours out the bottom.
    17) Resume pouring fresh oil all over engine casings, ensuring that some makes it into the engine.
    18) Stop at least 12 times to hold bike upright and check you're not overfilling. Each time, find you're still way off.
    19) When oil reaches midpoint of level window, start bike for a minute. Note level drops, top up until back at midpoint.
    20) Satisfied, lift oven tray, spilling great gobs of black oil on driveway. Wander around holding tray of hot oil looking for something to tip it into.
    21) Tip it into something inappropriate. Place receptacle at back of shed, never touch again. Build a collection of inappropriate receptacles at back of shed.
    22) Roll bike away from oil spillage. Find this is impossible without coating surprise tyre zone with lubricant and ensuring hilarious sideways action at next corner.
    23) Throw sand on lake Castrol, wait until wife/girlfriend/parents complain before you do anything else
    24) Neglect to clean oven tray, ensuring minimum 1 day with no sex and extra manly flavour to future lasagne.

Easy as pie.
  7. heheh, and a handy hint I have stolen from another forum

By adding a neodymium magnet or two on the outside surface of your oil filter, you can significantly increase the performance of your oil filter. Current oil filters available for the Multi are marginal at best, filtering very little below 30 microns. The #1 wear component in our oil is iron and steel being created by the transmision, primarily. By adding a high quality Neo magnet to the oil filter, we effectively filter iron and steel from 1 micron up through chunks and clunks. By removing the #1 wear metal, we can significantly reduce self-induced wear, especially for those yellow metal bearings. The Neo lasts forever and can be switched from filter to filter as changed. A regular iron magnet is not strong enough; once a magnet has to penetrate a metal surface, the field is greatly reduced. With Neo, it starts out being incredibly strong so that even after casing penetration, the field is quite formidable, providing excellent filtration capabilities..
    As for Neo sources, any old hard drives laying around contain one or two. There are many web sources.. Try and get a 40 or higher, preferably an S or H which means a higher temp capability. Plus you will get a free stop light actuator!
  8. I did the Holmesglen one last year and here's what I had to say about it in another thread:

I did the course a while ago and while I gained some knowledge I wouldn't particularly recommend it. For $160 you mostly get the general theory behind engines, a conspiracy theory about petrol prices and oil companies or two, a look at a couple of motorcycle parts from various bikes, and advice not to ever undertake the vast majority of servicing tasks.

This is no slur on the guy who takes it (at the time I did it it was the Australia Post guy); his knowledge of bikes seemed to be exhaustive but given the time again I would probably spend the $160 on something else or have a look at another one of the TAFE or adult education centre courses.

End Quote.

Having just gone ahead and attempted basic (and some intermediate) maintenance tasks I'd recommend you don't bother with the courses and just buy a shop manual for your bike. I leant next to nothing in the course I did (of course the Kangan course may be different) and these basic maintenance tasks are really simple if you just follow the manual.

Just make sure you pick a day/weekend where you don't need the bike desperately and you've got a few hours spare to walk away and do something else until the frustration at seized bolts/whatever has died away. Other than that you'll be fine.

9. I am doing the kangan batman course at the moment. Starts on the basis you don't know anything, but I found I learnt a lot and have been shown how to do a lot on my bike.

At least half the course is working on your own bike or a school bike. I was checking my valve clearances last week and some guys were balancing carburettors. I think I can now do everything for a basic service.

If you buy a maintanence book, the best one is the Haynes maintenance techbook
  10. The Kangan Batman course sounds quite hands on. I'm interested and will check out the calendar for October and November.
  11. Maybe we can get a bunch of Netriders along to the same course, I'm interested.
  12. The tutor asks what you want to learn to do and then does his best to teach it. I think valve adjustment is about as far into the bike as you could go because you are limited to what you can get finished in a two hour lesson. You can take your own tools or use the workshop's tools.

What else is good that you get to see a wide range of bikes in various states of repair, so if you are slightly geeky like me, that is a bonus.

It is very practical, but you get to watch a 20 year-old video on engine oil from the British engine oil institute and an old vid on engine operation. That is the most theoretical parts.
  13. Motorcycle Maintenance Course

Hey guys,

I'm really keen on learning more about moto maintenance and servicing. Are there any courses in VIC or know of anyone who organises demonstrations on general maitenance and servicing.

I know of a course at Holmesglen Institute, but it seems to concentrated on theory. I'd really like to do something more practical.