Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic] Auditor General to carry out motorcycle safety performance audit

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Jul 15, 2010.

1. The MRA recently received the following.

Performance audit on motorcycle safety in Victoria
    The Victorian Auditor General's Office (VAGO) is starting a performance audit on motorcycle safety in Victoria. The VAGO 2010-11 Annual Plan provides the following brief overview of the audit topic:
    Riders of powered two-wheeled vehicles like motorcycles and scooters are amongst the most vulnerable road users. Their serious injuries and deaths account for 13 per cent of the road toll although they comprise only one per cent of traffic. The popularity of motorcycles and scooters has grown rapidly over the decade to 2008 with a 72 per cent increase in vehicle registrations. These trends and safety risks have focused attention on improving the safety of these road users. Victoria's Road Safety and Transport Strategic Action Plan for Powered Two Wheelers 2009–2013, which followed the Victorian Motorcycle Road Safety Strategy 2002–2007, targets areas for action.

The audit will assess the effectiveness of strategies to improve motorcycle safety.

Performance audits extend beyond the examination of the financial affairs and transactions of a government agency to encompass wider management issues of significance to the community.

The performance audit process begins with the planning phase which identifies the issues to be examined, timing, objectives, approach to be used and the resources required.

The next stage involves the evidence gathering phase encompassing examination and evaluation of information, the development of suggestions and formulation of conclusions.

The results of each audit are discussed with, and formally communicated to, senior management of audited organisations. The audit process culminates in the Auditor-General presenting a report on the audit to Parliament.

More information on how audits are conducted is provided in VAGO's Audit Practice Statement available via the attached link http://download.audit.vic.gov.au/files/20091002_APS.pdf
    VAGO has advised VicRoads that during the audit planning phase it intends to meet with the following organisations/individuals to identify key issues and define the audit scope:

Transport Accident Commission
    Victoria Police
    VMAC Chairman
    Motorcycle Riders Association (Vic)
    Australian Scooter Federation (Industry Group)
    Monash University Accident Research Centre.

I felt constrained not to post anything until we had met with them.

At this stage they are still looking at what the scope of the audit will be. Kerry and I met with them this morning and discussed quite a few things.

We discussed a lot of issues (many of which have been mentioned here) and they were very receptive.The VAGO require that details remain confidential howwever it was a productive and interesting meeting and we coverd a lot of things in a very frank discussion.

The next stage once they have established the scope will be the evidence gathering phase.

The final report should come out in February 2011.
  2. I see MUARC are involved, I hold little hope for any positive outcome.
  3. its a good start however when they present their findings its possible that it will be swept under the rug and ignored by legislators

who commissioned the report ?

could it be a case of

"lets do this to make it seem we actually give a crap so that it shuts them up and then we can gouge them for more money by increasing fines as they are a menace to society "
  4. I wonder whether they will notice that the enforcement action points in the PTW strategy seem to be in full swing, whereas those action points that might actually benefit riders (and cost money instead of raising revenue) are falling behind....
  5. Don't you want to see MUARC audited?
  6. When most numbers identify motorcycles as 3% of the traffic yet there introduction identifies us as 1%, it is an interesting start to the “Audit” process…
  7. <thinks> What's that strange rumbling I feel? </thinks>

I wonder where the initial impetus came from? Official or unofficial. These things don't come about all by themselves, but it might be part of a wider program somewhere. Could have all sorts of outcomes, but MRA have to be involved.
  8. Oh they will supply fudged figures.
    Audit schmaudit I don't trust any of these so called departments.
  9. From this I expect:
    We can but wait for the outcome...
  10. I'd say that this is promising. The Auditor General's department have, I suspect, less of an axe to grind than other government bodies and quangos, so there is at least some hope of a proper report rather than a propaganda exercise.

Not that I've got any direct interest in the results, Sandgroper that I am, but all States tend to move in similar directions over time.
  11. After talking to them I'm feeling positive. I did bring up the subject of statistics and how we need accurate data. Various other matters (many of which have been mentioned here were also discussed and we made some very frank and open comments.

This is still the setting of the scope and identifying however - when this is done they'll start the actual audit process.

MUARC are being interviewed only - they are not controlling or managing the audit in any way. It's a totally independent performance audit (not a financial audit).
  12. I like the idea of MUARC not being involved.

Looking forward to updates on this topic!
  13. Ah well if muarc is not directly involved and are part of being audited then bring it on.
  14. What an absolute waste of taxpayer money. Safety is one issue but it is not the biggest issue. In my opinion motorcyclists a doing an excellent job when it comes to safety and are leading the way compared to all other road users. We pay a lot of money to purchase these high tech machines and we spend a lot of money to maintain them. We also have the highest spend when it comes to personal safety gear.

As a taxpayer the expectation would be to improve the quality of country/recreational roads and increase the speed limits of these roads. We have every right to ask for this and this is where the focus should be. Why? Because we want it and after all we pay for it.

To carry out a motorcycle safety performance audit is an insult to the community and nothing more than a distraction from the poor performance of the TAC, VicRoads, MUARC, VMAC, Victoria Police and the ministers of these departments.

We work very hard and have the right to go about our lawful business without the fear of persecution. The laws should reflect the needs and wants of the community.

The audit would better serve the community if it was a Performance Audit on Increasing Road User Freedoms in Victoria.
  15. I think you may have missed the point a bit Sir Ride a Lot. As I understand it, the intention of the audit is to assess the success or failure of the approach to motorcycle safety.

I can see this leading to, for example, a thorough independent examination of TAC advertising. Just think; someone intelligent without an axe to grind looking at that awful "It's up to you to reduce the risk of being knocked off your bike by space aliens" ad, the mountain of negative feedback that resulted from it and its evident lack of effect.

And that's only one point of one small aspect of the issue that might get some oxygen.

Auditors General are not, as a species, known for sparing their fellow bureaucrats. Everyone hates them and the feeling is mutual. I can see at least as much discomfort for TAC, VicRoads, VicPol, MUARC etc. as might result for anyone else.
  16. G'day everyone,...

So a beurocracy is doing htis eh,..?

Well I guess this means it will result in some regulation that comes with FEE's,.. and who will be expected to pay that!??

Dr Who?
  17. PatB I hear what you are saying. My argument is why safety is the issue when there really isn’t a major problem here. Sure we all know the bureaucrats have failed.

Meanwhile while all of this bullshit is going on we are getting older and our time on this earth is diminishing. Not long from now many of us won’t even be able to throw our leg over the bike.

Not many people care about the safety thing anymore. It’s time to move on.
  18. So just go and ride then. That's a decision I made about 15 years ago, having previously been rather intensively involved in motorcycle politics, and one that I've stuck with, barring the odd letter on particularly pressing issues. Not only am I happier for it, with my blood pressure firmly under control, but motorcycling in the English speaking world doesn't seem to have fallen in a heap in the absence of my advocacy :grin:.

That said, I too am rather sick of the safety thing, as expressed by the authorities. However, the authorities are not and will continue to stick their (hopefully) well meaning but undoubtedly ill informed oars in. Perhaps an investigation by the AG will result in some motivation to adopt a more evidence based approach rather than the application of simplistic dogma. I'd certainly rather see the money spent on the AG making a proper assessment of the current approach than given to MUARC to come up with yet another excuse to deploy yet more speed cameras.
  19. Chuck speeding fines up for motorcyclists and make safety gear mandatory.

There you go. Pay me a fortune and I'll tell them what they want to hear.

Hopefully it'll be something constructive this time! Fingers crossed...
  20. That's where this report should be different. The AG's department aren't going to be paid extra for this. This is what we (or, more correctly, you) pay them for on an everyday basis. Ergo, there is less pressure on them to come up with results the client wants to see.

Considering the decidedly lacklustre performance of MUARC, TAC, VicRoads, VicPol on the issue, I can see at least some promise of the final report being entertaining, even if it doesn't make a practical difference.