Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns now Overland has as well (16/6/11)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, May 2, 2011.

1. Well the rumor mill was right. Sir KJ is outa here. Just heard on the radio that he has resigned.

He was Appointed May 2009 as the Deputy Commissioner (Crime) for Vic Pol. IIRC he was also given a special license to carry a glock pistol for protection due to death threats.

The rumor mill says that Ken Lay isn't far away from resigning either.

Wonder what the shake up means for VicPol and the libs... seems like a trying time for Vic Pol... industrial problems due to a wage claim, budget cuts, new influx of recruits, new influx of top brass...

2. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

I hope it’s a good thing but they need to get rid of Overland as well. Normally an incoming government has to wait until the bureaucrats contracts are up to replace them with their own people. This is the problem the Libs are currently dealing with. Usually a new government doesn’t get control until the second term.

3. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

Why would you get rid over Overland? You might not like him, but any successor would be the same as him.

For the record, I don't like political appointments to positions like this.

4. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

I'll be buggered, I was genuinely under the impression the rumour was just a beat up to shake the tree.

Meh, oh well.

5. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

cejay people that ride motorcycles have suffered while this guy has held the job and we continue to suffer.

He just loves to stand above and piss all over us. I can't wait to see the back of him.

6. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

He has been in this role for not that long. Riders were being pissed on before that. And before that they were still being pissed on. Overland is implementing government policy. Do you really believe, in even your wildest imaginations that anything would change?

7. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

The interesting thing will be is if Sir Ken decides to speak out when and if he gets back to the UK.

Being that close to the top he must be aware of the crap that is being thrown around up there.

8. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

cejay I would like to believe there would be a change. Hopefully someone with some balls that doesn’t send out others to do his dirty work while he sits back and presents himself as mr clean.

9. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

Overland has been muzzled by Ryan and more or less told to fix the mess and do his job.

10. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

Blatantly off topic: I didn't realise we had a knighted cop.

I'm tempted to make a joke relating to a certain Canadian detective who was older and stronger than he looks...

11. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

Have to agree with all of that.

Will he become the head of the new Government Corruption Fighting Watchdog? We will have to wait and see. If he does, then we have a win, but should he go home, then it is a loss.

12. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

I'd agree with Justus on that one.

Sir Ken said on radio this morning that he intended to stay in Victoria and not move back to the UK - he likes it here and the weather is (generally) better.

13. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

I just heard on the radio that Sir KJ has been given marching orders. No timely handover, just get the hell out.

What the hell is going on?

14. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

It's called corruption

15. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

very off topic, but TonyE, did you just become a moderator, or have I been blind for a while??

16. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

It's the VicPol way of doing things: always has been, always will.

It's normally the "Three O'Clock Appointment", happened to me and many others who don't play the political game to the tune of the current hierarchy.

Shame, I have a lot of time for Sir Ken. He turned up to lead the Ride for the Hills as solo rider, no airs and graces just fitted in well. Unlike Lay the year before who just didn't want to be seen with motorcyclists.

[​IMG]

17. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

you've been blind for over 18 months :)

18. #18 minglis, May 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Wouldn't be the first time ;)

19. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

Bet you are happy that Mr Lay is replacing him then! Sir Ken was a nice bloke and a fellow rider, very sad.

20. Re: [Vic] Assistant Police commissioner Sir Ken Jones resigns

What do you think is going on with Sir KJ, family and friends having their phone's tapped?? What level of crime do you need to be involved in or be suspicious of for that level of action/investigation against you??

The plot thickens...