Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic] Anyone sold a registered bike without RWC?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Nakkas, Aug 30, 2007.

  1. I'm thinking about off loading my bike, can a bike be sold without a RWC? I thought the answer was no, but I've seen a few offering balance of registration, but no RWC.

    I realise I can cancel the reg and sell it like that,but just wondering if the other is possible.

  2. I think it's the same as a car and you must suspend the reg and hand in the plate.
  3. I bought a bike with no RWC and with rego. It was up to me to fix the minor bits for RWC. So yes, it can be sold with no RWC and with rego. But buyer will need RWC if they want the title transferred to their name.
  4. If the bike requires work, your best to cancel the registration and hand back the plate.

    A buyer can get a temporary registration certificate to ride it to a shop or Vic Roads to get a RWC once up to scratch.
  5. If you cancel the registration you will make it much harder to sell!

    you simply sell the bike write a reciept of sale to the new owner, and complete a transfer form, remove the plate and hand it to vic roads.

    the new owner then presents the plate, the receipt and current RWC, pays stamp duty (4% in Vic) and a transfer fee($7.50), and gets the plate back.

    Do not cancel the reg then they cannot test ride the bike,and it will be harder to sell
  6. Yes, cancelling the rego would be quite dumb. That's why you sign the transfer docs on the registration form when you sell it. Bit hard to sell an unregistered vehicle.

    I've never bought a car/bike with a RWC. Once you sell it, it's up to the buyer to have the RWC done. Selling a bike/car with a RWC is an added sales bonus as the buyer knows nothing needs to be done to get it registered (transfered) into their name.
  7. How is this a bonus. I would expect a functioning bike to always come with RWC.
  8. The law in VIC says any vehicle sold must have a RWC provided by the seller OR have the plates suspended and handed in.

    A lot of people say to the buyer 'you can buy it cheaper if you arrange the rwc' and leave the plates on etc, this is naughty and runs the risk that the buyer doesn't transfer the rego and the seller gets all the speed camera fines.

    You'll sell it a LOT easier if you have a RWC completed on the bike when you advertise it.
  9. Hi mate,

    Yep you can DEFINATLY sell the bike without RWC but WITH Rego. I did this when I sold my RGV250. Basically you just fill out the registration transfer form as per usual and dont complete the RWC section. Make sure the date of sale is clear on both copies (buyer and seller) this denies you of liability when the buyer runs a red or speeds. Then it is up to the buyer to get a RWC in 28 days. Hope this helps!

  10. Must be different down there, cars or bikes are hardly ever sold with RWCs here. Byuers may ask the owner to get one done, but it's not part of the sale generally (hence a bonus if there is one).
  11. Errr... thats why you write the date of sale on the rego transfer form. Then you hand it to VIC roads asap. This denies you of liability. So why the other dude transfers the rego in his/her name (with the RWC) he/she copes the fines.
  12. That make perfect sense, but there's only one issue I'm kind of worried about.

    Let's say the buyer goes nuts and gets a billion tickets. I'll of course show the transfer form and get the rider nominated. However, can I then get into trouble for selling a bike without the RWC?

    Doesn't selling a bike without a RWC make the transfer papers not the worth the paper its written on?
  13. If you do not provide a RWC then you must cancel the registration and hand the plates back to PrickToads.

    The buyer will need the RWC and the transfer papers in order for it to be transfered to their name.

    If you cancel the rego and hand the plates in together with the transfer papers, no camera fines can come your way.

    If you sell with a RWC and submit the transfer papers to VR then same as above.
  14. I was just reading the fine print it says the buyer must hand in the form with RWC no more than 14 days after the acquisition. The problem is, one which I got away with, is that the RWC must come at the same time or no more than 30 days before the acquisition and in this case the RWC will come after.

    As long as you get the RWC and hand in the paper work no more than 14 days afterwards you should be ok, even if the RWC has a date after the acquisition.

    I tried to find the 28 days after but couldn't.
  15. Im not 100% sure but when you submit the transfer for without RWC, the rego is active but no longer under ur name. If the RWC is not recieved by the buyer then the rego is suspended.
  16. Vic Roads recently told me they would not accept a transfer notice at all anymore unless the RWC was attached.

    You may remember that a few years ago, you filled out 2 copies of the form, and one was submitted with the RWC by the seller, and one without it by the buyer. Just in case one copy got "lost".

    Now, no longer, to save themselves paperwork there is only 1 copy gets submitted and it must have the RWC, and must be within 14 days of sale date.

    Of course, you could "lend" your bike to the other person (on security of their cash deposit) until they organise a roadworthy, then you sell/tranfer it to them. But that way is fraught with all sorts of legal problems if it all turns to c$@p, such as them crashing your bike into something and you getting blamed, and you might be uninsured.

    So, doing it right is the safest way. Sure, make your own choices and do what you like, just don't blame us if you get in trouble taking short cuts.
  17. Hey Hotcam I understand what your saying. But as you said the buyer has 14 days to get the transfer forms and the RWC form to Vicroads. The buyer on the other hand just has to advise that the sale has been made but they are not required to show a RWC.

    The Vicroads girl told my grandmother to bring in the pink copy and show it to them so as they know the car had been sold, but in the mean time in the 14 day period the buyer could get the RWC and submit to Cicroads.

    What I don't know about is that the RWC should be carried out on the day of acquisition or up to 30 days beforehand, can it be done in the 14 day period afterwards?

    When I bought my bike I bought it with rego but no RWC and I got the roadworthy in that 14 day period after the sale and handed into Vicroads no problems.
  18. Sold a car a while back without a Roadworthy Certificate. The buyer drove the car back with a load noise in the motor and ask for his money back.
    On contacting a solicitor I was adviced, as the sale was not legal, just to give the buyer the moneys.

    So if your a seller, get a rwc, if a buyer don't mandate one. If you find that something is wrong with the bike, and change your mind, you can always get your money back, as the sale was not legal.
  19. Have bought a bike and placed a deposit on a car without RWC before, the RWC test is Extremely Basic, so as long as you have carfully inspected the car/bike and know what to look for on a motor, you should be fine. (Took me a half hour to look over the bike, and spend 2 hours looking over an 8 page checklist for the car.
  20. Buying a used vehicle?

    If you are buying a used vehicle you need to look for the safety certificate. A safety certificate identifies the authorised inspection station which issued it and must be displayed on the vehicle from the time it is offered for sale.

    If a safety certificate is not displayed, it is likely the vehicle has not been checked and should not be considered for purchase.

    Selling a vehicle?

    If you are selling a registered vehicle, you will need to obtain and display a safety certificate from the moment you offer the vehicle for sale.

    Contact an approved inspection station to arrange an inspection. Fees for inspections are paid directly to the station.

    Once you have a certificate, which identifies the approved inspection station that issued it, you must display it on the vehicle from the moment the vehicle is offered for sale.

    If you fail to display a safety certificate on the vehicle from the moment you offer it for sale you will receive an on-the-spot fine of A$375.

    Transferring Registration

    If you are looking to purchase a second-hand vehicle, motorbike, caravan or trailer it is advisable to do some homework before finalising the sale.

    First, get a written-off vehicle certificate and/or a register of encumbered vehicles (REVS) certificate before purchasing the vehicle to ensure it hasn't been written off. The certificate will also show there is no outstanding money owing on the vehicle, allowing it to be registered.

    Then, to transfer the registration to your name you must:

    Lodge a completed Transfer of Vehicle Registration Application (F3520) and certificate of registration at a Transport customer service centre within 14 days of purchase.
    This form must be signed by both the person selling the vehicle and the person buying the vehicle.
    Supply the original copy of a current safety certificate.
    Supply a gas certificate if your vehicle runs on gas or is fitted with gas appliances, fittings or systems.
    The certificate must not be more than three months old and be from an authorised gas installer.
    Prove your identity.
    Provide organisation identification—certificate of incorporation, business registration and so on.
    To transfer the registration to a business name, the proprietor must also bring their driver licence as identification. Note: Organisation representatives must also bring their own personal identification, such as their driver licence, and proof that they are acting on behalf of the organisation.
    Pay a transfer fee and vehicle registration duty.
    If you require the vehicle, motorbike, caravan or trailer to have joint registration, each person must sign the form and provide evidence identification at the time of transfer.
    Special conditions apply for transfers that involve personalised plates, recreational vehicles, deceased estates, concessions, taxis and private hire vehicles.