Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC - Anybody free to show me how to clean/lube my chain?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by DanielN, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Hello Team Netrider,

Was just wondering if anyone is free at all this week to meet up either at your place or mine to show me the ropes on how to clean and lube my bike chain?

I know there are online tutorials and what not but hey I think nothing beats an experienced set of real life eyes hovering as I have a go.

Bought the bike 2nd hand two weeks ago and have put roughly 300kms on it since (120kms ride back from Bendigo then 200km or so by me around here) so a clean and lube is due if I'm to believe the every 250km rule I see online.

Bike is a 2014 Ninja 300 with just over 5000km on it now and I'm in the western suburbs.

If anybody is happy to help that'd be great! :)

2. While better too often than too infrequently, 250 km seems a tad obsessive. You'd end up lubing mid ride on even on shorter Learner rides.

Normally I would suggest every 500 km should be ample. Although if you have just come in at the end of a day's riding, it's the perfect time to lube even if you haven't done the full 500.

Disclaimer: what does a BMW R series rider know about lubing chains.

3. Every two tanks of fuel is the rule of thumb many of us use. But that's a quick lube and wipe down with a rag after a run when the chain is warm. You have a paddock stand?

• Agree Agree x 1