Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC: Answer to legal ability to lane split

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by pro-pilot, May 15, 2007.

1. MOD EDIT: please make sure you are explaining your state's laws in the topic this is a NATIONAL forum and each state's laws differ, this helps avoid confusion.

Hi All,

If you examine the regulations regarding overtaking traffic (when safe to do so, eg. stopped) there is a provision in the law to do so on the left when certian conditions are met.
    They are
    1. Must be safe (eg. stopped)
    2. on a multi laned road, and
    3. where the is a lane way to your left when doing the overtaking. Eg. if you are on the freeway with three lanes you can split in the middle or outer lanes not the left most.

Division 3, paragraph 141. Page 111.

Hope this adds to the debate! :p

2. What about over taking on the right when cars are stationary? Does the above rules also apply to overtaking on the right or is it just the left like you stipulated?
  3. You can overtake on the right, when safe to do so, but make sure its not over a double white line, emergency lane or sholder. Which rules out in this scenario the right most lane as that would be the emergency lane or sholder.

On most two laned road the centre line is solid white (or double) which means you cannot legally cross it.
  4. If it is a single unbroken white line, you can cross it. If it is a double unbroken white line, it is illegal to cross it (or park opposite it).

(Page 26 of the PDF, Page 20 according to their markings - Figure 1 & 2)
  5. this has always been the case.
  6. Where did you get that? I didn't see it in there. It only stated you could cross a broken white line and not to cross a solid white line.

I never understand why this is questioned, if you are overtaking on the left AND sharing the same lane as another vehicle...you are being naughty in the eyes of the law (unless you are going around a legitimate obstruction - cars waiting at lights are not a legitimate obstruction). If you can do it on the right, without crossing a line, then it is ok and covered by overtaking criteria providing it can be done safely.

It's like 2 lane roundabouts... :roll:
  7. Oh boy, another lane splitting thread :popcorn:
  8. yeah...I say start one on people who turn right from the left lane on roundabouts across the path of other traffic.
  9. :wink:
  10. Interesting. I wonder if it's the same in NSW. I've never really thought about single unbroken lines - I always assumed they couldn't be crossed. I obviously know about double unbroken or broken/unbroken or single unbroken but not so clear on single unbroken.

Cool tidbit!
  11. taiheung said:
    Bad news taiheung....NSW road laws follow the "Australian Road Rules" which don't allow overtaking over a single unbroken line....

I dare say it probably won't be long before Victoria will follow suit. :(

pro-pilot said:
    These regs have nothing to do with lane splitting, they are about 'passing" or "overtaking" in another lane. Lane splitting is done in the same lane as the vehicle you're passing, and can only be done to the right of the vehicle....unless you happen to be in Queensland, where it's legal to pass to the left of a stationary vehicle. :shock:
  12. Sorry Pro-pilot, Billsabiker has got it right there. Your original post, about overtaking on the left: the operative words in the Vic regulations are:
    " the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle can be safely
    overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle"
    That just refers to travelling in the left hand lane, not splitting or filtering.

In fact, some people (including me) have been using this wording to suggest that - technically - if you pass on the right-hand side of the vehicle (but within the same lane), you haven't actually broken the law.
    Unless of course, some plod chooses to call that dangerous driving, in which case your in a world of sh!t...

Now what we actually NEED, is an amendment that creates an exception for motorcycles, just like they do for bicycles :grin: