Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Altona - unusual police/traffic operations

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, May 6, 2010.

1. On the weekend, at about 2am, I was waived through a single officer, single divi van road block on Newland street Altona Meadows. The officer had no hi viz gear, no traffic management lights, no emergency lights on - just stepped out into the traffic flow and pulled over individual cars at random. The whole thing struck me as odd. A single copper? When do you see a single copper in a divi van conducting operations????

As a local of 10+yrs, Newland street is a typical check point when there's a blitz on, so I'm used to what a properly set up random check point looks like... this was not it. Anyway, I was waived through and noted what the copper looked like in mine and the other vehicles headlights. I put it out of my mind until this morning.

This morning on the way to work, that same copper was working Maidstone street Altona. There was the divi van, no lights on, no traffic management lights, no hi viz and he just stepped out into the traffic flow directing random cars to the kerb. He greeted me with "good evening" and looked way tired. He took the license, walked back towards the car, didn't take down any details, didn't radio a check, just turned around, came back and put me on the breatho.

Now this could be legit, but it doesn't have the right "smell" about it, know what I mean.

So this is an alert to folks of Melbourne's West, keep an eye out for this copper, male, 5' 9"ish, olive complexion, slender, dark curly hair... something is suss about the whole thing.

2. Have you let the police know?
    He is breaking a number of worksafety laws if that's the case.
  3. I wonder if he needed the breathalyser?
  4. I put in a report on the vicpol's complaint or compliment reporting link. Anyway, just wanted Melbourne's wessiders to be aware of this cop.
  5. Thanks for the heads up rob, I work in Altona so I'll keep an eye out.

A lot of work safety rules being broken...