Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC: Aftermarket exhaust questions.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Shiftplusone, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Hello, I don't really know anything about exhausts or mufflers, so I just want to get some info.

I want to get an exhaust that's a bit flatter than my current one (comes too close to cars when filtering) and sounds loud and deep.

So... where in Melbourne, would I go to get something like that? How much would it cost? Will it make much of a difference?

2. Anywhere between $500 to $1000 depends on what you want
  3. Would I be better off if I just drilled the baffle?
  4. The quick answer to that is... no.

The long answer is that drilling the baffles will almost certainly make your bike sound louder, but you will probably need to rejet or remap which will be difficult and expensive.

Most slip on mufflers don't need that.
  5. You will tend to end up with a sound that is like a leaking exhaust rather than a "tuned" note from the exhaust.....

have a chat to Ken at megacycle about exhausts
  6. Thanks for the replies.

I've read about clip on mufflers and they seem very specific to the bike. I have not found any place online which has any aftermarket mods specific to the VN250.

I've already emailed http://www.megacycle.com.au/ to see what they charge... probably going to be too expensive.

So anyway, would any dealership do it? Could I go to Sharptune Kawasaki or Freestyle Honda for this or do I need to go specifically to a muffler place?

Edit: typos...
  7. Got mine from Ken @ Megacycle in Keysborough.
    My experience and others - good product for a good price, friendly guy.
    I'm sure there are others similar too (staintune etc) but I think Megacycle's generally cost least (while still being good quality)
    Pretty sure he'll also cut them/custom too (talking to a guy on a blue zx-10 the other night, Ken had cut his pipes back for him)
    Let us know how you go