Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic + ACT] Vi9ctoria and ACT sink national bikie gang laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by 2up, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Vic sinks national bikie gang laws
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 » 08:01pm

Victoria and the ACT have teamed up to scuttle plans for national laws banning bikie gangs.

Attorneys-general have agreed to strengthen laws to fight organised crime across all states and territories.

But they stopped short of agreeing to harmonise anti-bikie gang laws across state jurisdictions.

Pressure for a nationally consistent approach has mounted since rival gangs were involved in a fatal brawl at Sydney Airport last month.

South Australia and NSW, which have already passed laws to criminalise bikie gang membership, had been pressuring others to follow their lead.

They argued that states and territories that failed to act risked becoming safe havens for bikie gangs.

But Victorian Attorney-General Rob Hulls and his ACT counterpart Simon Corbell denied they'd put their communities at risk. They said police should focus on criminal behaviour rather than individuals' affiliations.

'We've agreed to a nationally consistent set of principles that will prevent any jurisdiction becoming a safe haven for bikie gangs,' federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland told reporters in Canberra.

'(But) it doesn't require each and every piece of legislation (across Australia) to be word for word.'

The commonwealth will introduce a range of laws to increase access to material gathered via telecommunications interceptions and strengthen the asset confiscation regime.

States agreed to bolster questioning powers and consorting laws to crack down on crimes committed by members of a group. There will also be greater cooperation across jurisdictions.

But none of that goes as far as laws already passed in South Australia and NSW, which criminalise bikie gang membership.

Victoria won't have to change its laws at all.

'They (the laws) are things we have in place in Victoria,' Mr Hulls said.

'This national framework will ensure there are no gaps when it comes to organised crime legislation in any jurisdiction.'

Mr Corbell said the framework enabled each state and territory to develop its own response according to its particular circumstances.

'What the meeting has recognised is there's different ways to skin a cat, but the objectives are the same,' he said.

NSW Attorney-General John Hatzistergos went into the meeting with three key demands.

He got his way on two - but not the one he considered most important.

He won on increased access to telecommunications interception.

And he expects endorsement on Friday of his push to have corporations law changed to ban gang members from being company directors.

But he also wanted bikie groups and members banned in one state to be declared illegal across Australia, which was sunk by Victoria and the ACT.

Asked if he was disappointed on that front he told reporters: 'This is still a work in progress'.

Queensland, Western Australia and the Northern Territory had all suggested they would adopt the South Australian and NSW approach, Mr Hatzistergos said.

Victorian Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu said the state risked becoming a hotbed for bikie crime if it refused to ban gangs.

'Rob Hulls has got this wrong, (Premier) John Brumby's got this wrong and they are exposing Victorians to the incredible risk of this state becoming the soft underbelly for crime,' he said.

South Australian Premier Mike Rann agreed Victoria risked becoming a safe haven for bikie gangs 'just because they are concerned about the civil liberties of crime gangs'.

2. Guess who has two job posting options, one in Canberra, and one in Port Melb???? MEEE! :grin: :grin: :cool:

edit: eye dinnit speel good

3. Blow me down - the buggers down in Spring Street have grown some backbone. Moral principle wins over populist opportunism. Will wonders never cease?

4. Excellent. Take the Pt Melb one and we'll go to the thugby when it's on :grin:

5. Victoria already had pretty substantial laws for use against organised crime so it wasn't necessary in order to keep in line with the others. Make no mistake, the current government has no backbone, nor sence of morality, they just couldn't be bothered with the extra work. Besides, the bikies don't actively or vocally oppose any of the Vic governments plans for environmental destruction so why would they care anyway? Lucky for us, we managed to experience a moment where government laziness worked for the benefit of the general public.

Quite frankly, I'd prefer the Brumby government did 'f**king nothing' a whole lot more often. It seems to work a lot better that way. :)

6. take it from someone who has lived in both cities at a young age, go to melbourne...!!!

7. Wouldn't go Canberra (worked there often enough) it's a boring cold hole!
    And a "likely lad" like you would probably fall foul of those laws aimed at scruffy disreputable types who ride motorcycles........ :p

Hang on........ I resemble that remark too................. :evil:

8. Thankfully not all states/territories are in knee-reaction laws. I know how i'll stop these lawless indivduals, even MORE laws!! :roll:

9. If enough so called 'bikies' move to Canberra we might finally have the lobbying power need to get more dedicated 'bikie' lanes.

However, cars seem to clear the lanes for 'bikies' anyway so cultural change may occur without the need for new legislation.

10. I liked this.

"But Victorian Attorney-General Rob Hulls and his ACT counterpart Simon Corbell denied they'd put their communities at risk. They said police should focus on criminal behaviour rather than individuals' affiliations. "

11. Yep, seems like common sense to me! Especially when there are already laws in place. Just the NSW govt wanting to be seen to be doing something to the Wont Somebody Save the Children brigade.

12. Good to see someone in authority using some common sense for once. Bravo! :grin:

13. Been listening to some discussion on this, and it seems that while it may appear like they did it on purpose, it now looks likely that they inadvertently shot themselves in the foot with their pre-existing civil liberties legislation.

Now they should be commended for having enacted it in the first place, but it is starting to look like the only reason they have stood on their dig is that it would be just too damn hard to rescind it now.

I mean, how would it look: "Sorry we got it wrong - it really is important that the police be able to jail anyone they wish to, without that individual having done anything in particular, or at all."

14. I've been of the belief for a long time that Australia should have (should have had!) a bill of rights.

Most people laughed at the idea a decade ago... and it's almost too late now, our rights are already being eroded.

15. Don't forget that Rob Hulls is a rider (OK it's a scooter - but it's a start)... :LOL:

16. Yes, and he has also intervened in the (as you would know) to ensure that Toy Run went ahead despite the opposition of other agencies. He's a complicated character with many and varied allegiances, but I think he at least understands the big picture.