Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vibration destroying tail lights?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Linux_insidev2, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Hey Guys

My Tail light on my ZZR keeps blowing...

I replaced mine last week, inspected it yesterday and the primary filament is no longer coiled, it's become unraveled. which leads me to beleive it's always been happening due to vibration rather than too much voltage etc.

I replaced the light box yesterday due to threaded screwholes for the lense cover and it was on quite tight (it's mounted using washers and rubber) and it was done up quite tight.

Would I be right to assume it must have been too tight, and that it's supposed to prevent this from happening? I didn't do it up as tight, hoping it'll fix it.

2. I had a similar problem with my SRX6 (single-lots of vibes). After blowing two or three of them in a year, went to Dick Smiths and got an LED brake/tail light - a couple of years on, I've had no further problems.
    The LED versions stand up to the vibration admirably - no fragile filaments to break due to all the shaking around.
  3. I had to replace my back bulb on my zzr250 about 2-3 times during my year and a bit of ownership.

Possibly vibration. I'm surprised my SV doesn't have more problems the amount that it shakes, but it does have pretty good rubber isolation.
  4. give it more rubber isolation, and see how it goes then
  5. Aftermarket LED bulb, and never look at it again.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. I had to replace the bulb in my ZZR after 2 weeks of owning it....
  7. With an aftermarket LED bulb, should you get a white tail light bulb or a red bulb? I got told that red bulbs will penetrate red tail lenses better than white.

8. although that would appear to make sense, i read someone saying that the white ones were brighter. has anyone else tried both?