Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VFR750 using lots of fuel.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by VFR750 IRYDE, Jul 7, 2008.

1. OK, I'm using 8.5lt of fuel per 100km that I travel, which seems very high, higher than many small/micro cars.

I know what you are thinking, and yes I tend to ride fairly hard. But even so... 8.5litres???

If I 'average' my travel, a typical 100km would look like this:

40% suburban commute. I am careful and conservative here, changing gears at or below 5500rpm, and taking off from lights fast enough to put a safety buffer between me and the cars around me, but nothing stupid.

55% freeway. I will often hold 7000rpm for extended periods on the freeway (although obviously not in top gear cos that would be speeding and I dont do that, just like you dont.)

5% blasting. I've thrown into this part the times when I do take off from lights at full stick (which is always a very short burst) and the occasional weekend trip up the mountain and back, which sees a fair bit of wide open throttle.

So, does that kind of consumption seem reasonable? Is it the high rev freeway running or that small amount of blasting?

Your thoughts are appreciated.
  2. Why are you sitting on 7000rpm on the freeway?

and to answer you question, 8.5 is high, but not too bad. 6.5 would be normal.

Getting up a bike will easily take it to 8.5. sitting on 7000rpm will too and riding in the traffic may.

also Hondas run rich.

So I'd say there isn't too much wrong with the bike. Getting the carbies set up right will give you a bit back and riding at a normal engine speed on the freeway will give a fair bit too.
  3. :WStupid: