Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VFR400 Learner Leagl??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Maslon, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Hi,

I have seen and advertisement for a VFR400 that says it is learner legal in NSW. I live in Canberra and have been told that both NSW and ACT use the power to weight ratio to determine legality.

I can't see how the VFR can be under 150kw per tonne power to weight but I have been on wbsites that say the they are and also ones that they arn't.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is?

It's a 1992 with the V4 engine.

Also which has better accelleration CBR250 or VFR400?

Thanks

2. It needs to be on the list.

It's on the RTA website.

Someone once mention that the rvf400 is but the vrf400 isn't. Go figure!

3. My understanding was that there was a list rather then a direct power to weight relation. If it's on the list then it's legal.

As for which would be quicker...in a pure straight line drag it'd be close I think. VFR would have more torque out of the corners though.

4. StayUpright does the ACT motorcycle training, under contract from the ACT government. Their website has "the list" (PDF) of the learner approved bikes, with their weight, power, PWR ratio, etc.
    http://www.stayupright.com.au/learners_act.htm

5. Yeah I have seen the list, but if i was going by this list then my bike wouldn't be legal either. It's a CBR250R.

Is there a regulating authority that people can submit queries to?

6. Then it's probably not :)

Dept. of Urban Services handles licensing .. give them a call.

7. Maslon,

rule are:

If it's 250 or under and it's less then a certain power to weight ratio, then it's fine. this is why your bike does'nt need to be on the list.

For bikes over 250, but less then 660, then it needs to be on the list. The guide for the list is the power to weight ratio. There must be some way of requesting a bike to go on the list. Ther was in the early days.

BTW the VFR should be a fair bit quicker with a rider on board. The extra torque gives it the edge once all the paper racing stops.

8. I think i will, Thanks

9.  Top
  10. Same enough, in any event... NSW applies an upper limit of 660cc regardless of power-to-weight ratio, while the ACT (which has had LAMS for yonks now) doesn't; if it's classed as having less than 150kW to the loaded tonne, it's in. Thus, there are a fair few brand-new 883 Sportsters and VT750C Shadows getting around Canberra with L-plates on them.

Back on-topic, though, regardless of whether the VFR400 is learner-legal or not, the prices they're attracting put them firmly in the rip-off category... aside from the few which pop up in the $3500-$4500 range, they're, realistically ($4500 is already recent-600 territory), too expensive for what they are.

11. The statement highlighted in BOLD is incorrect. There is a power to weight ratio. The rules state that the bike must not exceed 660cc AND 150kw/tonne. This is why the 250cc two smokers such as the RS250, NSR250 and RGV250 are illegal for learners in new south wales.

12. As i understand it the VFR400 is slightly more powerful (by around 5hp i think) and i guess that therefore makes it illegal!!

13.  Top
  14. Taken in isolation, without considering the paragraph it is a part of, nor RC36's post which that paragraph seeks to expand on, it might be.

Or, to put is another way, NSW applies an upper limit of 660cc regardless of power-to-weight ratio, no?

15. So all your trying to say is that in NSW you can't ride bigger then a 660cc even if it has less then 150KW/tonne whereas in the ACT it is only a power-to-weight ratio and not capacity which governs what you can ride on your L's and P's??

I'm sorry if i misunderstood your statement. The way i read was that in NSW you can ride up to 660cc regardless of how powerful it is.

16. Correctomondo.