Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VFR1200 impressions

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Biggles, Dec 21, 2011.

1. I'll be buying another bike in the new year and a VFR1200 has caught my eye and wondered if any Netriders have one that can share their thoughts on the bike.

2. I haven't ridden one but I've inspected one closely. Looks bulky and its asthetics leave a bit to be desired (but that's subjective opinion).

Spec-wise, smaller thank than my Blackbird. Heavier than the 'Bird but more modern equipment levels. Remember, this bike is a model replacement for the Blackbird and the VFR800.

And it's expensive.

What do you own at present? Is budget a constraining factor? Maybe a recently superceded but used Blackbird could be considered? Plenty about and cheap as chips, too.
  3. search the site someone else asked the same question not too long ago
  4. parts seem quite cheap for vfr1200
  5. What about this one, Biggles? :p

6. Ugly as hell..

They seem to be almost a technology testbed, very sophisticated but in a somewhat strange package..
  7. I rode one, its not a blackbird & its not a vfr800 - both are better imho. The last VFR800 was a fantastic bike as was the mighty bird.

Sure it has bells & whistles & you can ride it from Perth to Sydney non stop but it just felt very bland to me & I'm a Honda lover.

I was more impressed with the GSX1400 than the VFR1200 thats for sure.
  8. Haven't ridden one but I'd second the comment about used Blackbirds... or even an older CBR1000F such as I have recently bought. I love the thing and its a really good allrounder - plenty of bikes might be faster, more comfortable, lighter or more frugal but very few indeed would do as many things as well as the 1000F's do. The Blackbirds are supposed to be better again, especially in regards to touring. They may seem like heavy beasts aimed mainly at the touring market but they are a hoot in the twisties as well. They might not have the lightning-grade handling of lighter, more modern equipment but they are certainly able to go along at a very fast pace indeed.

Anywho, just a quick thought. Budgetwise you're looking around $3k onroad for a half decent 1000F (30k~50k km's, good mechanicals), with the more Blackbirds demanding anywhere between $5k and $12k depending on km's, condition, equipment and year model. Only real thing to be aware of is linked braking on models from 89 on, may not be to your liking but can be disable if you want. Early 1000F's have camchain tensioner issues starting at around 50,000km - nothing major just a bit rattly when cold and idling. Models also got heavier (from the 260kg wet for the '87 thouF!) as the years went on.

Hope that helps a bit mate, sorry I couldn't shed any light on the 1200 for you. From all accounts they are a bike that does a lot of things well but are more a technological tour de force than anything else. One thing I couldn't see them doing is keeping up with the early 1000F's or Blackbirds in sport riding... which I may be wrong about but would certainly not be surprised by if I wasn't.

Cheers - boingk
  9. you like the guzzi Lazy :0
  10. Test rode one and found it very sterile... Definitely not my type of ride.
    Cant give much more advice then that as i took it back fairly quickly and tested a 1000sx.

Give it a try though, comfortable bike for sure. You might love it.
  11. Thanks for the comments guys, I'll definitely try and get a test ride on one.
    As far as aesthetics they look far better in the flesh, the seating position is similar to my Ninja 650 but more lean forward (Ninja is almost bolt upright), not much but enough to put pressure on the wrists.
    Lazy Librian I love the Guzzi's they sound and look great but they're an unknown in my book, small volume sales, heavy and air-cooled, another I'll take for a test ride for sure.
  12. Compare the weight of the Guzzi 1200 Sport (or the Griso) to the VFR1200 before you call them heavy...
  13. ...Or this one? :D

MV Agusta Brutaaaaale 1090 RR

14. Exactly.

Besides, my CBR1000F weighs in at something like 260kg wet... fairly hefty by sport standards but defintiely still able to be punted quickly through the twisties. Only thing that changes is your speed to change direction, effort required for a given direction change and also tyre wear. Basically unless you're riding at racetrack pace you probably won't care.

Cheers - boingk
  15. That Brutale looks nice. Pity that it isn't a V twin. I'm leaning towards a V Twin Aprilia Tuono myself.
  16. Mmm same the bike I want next changes each week between dreams and reality (and there's only 3 bikes on the whole list anyway) but the early naughty tuono is forcibly pushing it's way from dream to reality.

The brutale is a big bike, high seat as well. I'm not tall, about 5'10 but was on my toes.
  17. And when you go looking for weights, compare wet weights. They seem to be far more truthful than dry weights, and I'm yet to find a motorcycle that I can ride with no battery, brake fluid, coolant, air in the tyres, engine oil or fuel.
  18. To their credit, in recent times Honda has moved to kerb weights that seem to pretty much check out when bikes on test have been put on the scales.

But make no mistake, as well as it hides it, The VFR has some real heft.

23 litres fuel capacity on the MG 1200 Sport is a big plus to me. Despite it's name, it's more comfy tourer (the Griso being the sharper tool) that handles real well and no doubt also cruises nicely as a bonus.

I get the impression that the VFR comes into it's own brilliantly the faster you go, which is great for Autobahns. Hell, the 4th Gen 750 ('94-'97) really comes together in about the 150-170 kmh range (so I'm told by someone about the same weight and height as myself).
  19. I can confirm that also. Turns into a magic carpet ride at those velocities, but is still fairly agile. I'd go a little further and say it's good for extended 200kmhr cruising without feeling at all stressed.