Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VFR seat and comfort issues

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Paragon, May 29, 2012.

1. Recently bought a 2004 VFR800 on a bit of a whim. I've got this idea in my head to do some interstate touring next month so I traded in the CB400. This model has helis, electronic cruise control and panniers :)

On paper the VFR 'should' be more comfortable than the CB. But I'm developing a couple of issues:

The seat slides me right into the tank and crushes the old jatz crackers when I'm changing down gears. And yes, I'm blipping to match engine revs. I think my old CBR250RR was more comfortable and that's saying something! Has anyone replaced the OEM seat with an aftermarket seat, like a Sargent, or has use a wool cover etc. and did it make any difference?

Secondly, I use the bike as my only means of transport, so the majority of riding is 50 - 60 km/h streets. The bike doesn't like going at 50-60 and seems to 'hunt' around a bit at those revs. Also on deceleration in gears 1,2, & 3 at suburban speeds the bike really 'pulls up' much more than my other inline 4 bikes. It's hard to explain, but if you don't get it right the engine braking is quite pronounced, throwing me even further into the bloody tank.

I'm trying to be smoother and 'babying' the bike around town a bit more. Anyone with some advice on how to iron these issues out?

I'm going to persevere for a while and use it for the interstate trips. I've taken it out into the hills and on the highway a couple of times and really enjoyed it! :demon: In reality that is probably its natural habitat, not tootling around town.

If I can't find some fixes I'll be back on an upright naked. It's a pity because I really like the bike. Suggestions on changing the seat would be appreciated.