Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VFR issues

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Redviffer75, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Hi all

New member and first time poster here. I have owned an 04 VFR 800 for a few months now and am hoping for some feedback or advice re issues with the bike.

First up I love the look of it, yeah I know its a personal thing but to my eyes it just looks the goods. I have to say though im a bit disapointed with the way it rides. I always wanted a VFR and being a Honda I expected smooth riding but its just not the case. I have found the throttle surges and is very touchy (ie. almost on/off) around town. Its really nice at freeway speeds but just a headache to ride in traffic.

Even maintaining a constant speed without moving the throttle at all, the bikes tends to surge and hesitate at times, almost as if the injectors are clogged or its misfiring. Ive taken it to a dealer and after riding it I was told it is performing normally and they couldnt fault it.

I have read other reports of similar issues and heard of all sorts of fixes including o2 sensor mods etc, but i just cant accept a modern fuel injected bike should need to be played with to perform properly. Im not looking for more power, just would like it to run more smoothly. Coming from carby Kawasakis i am quite suprised this bike doesnt ride as smoothly and is harder to manage at slow speed.

I am hoping other VFR owners may be able to shed some light on the problem, perhaps my bike needs a tune. Otherwise I am seriously considering ditching it and buying something like a Blackbird.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi Redviffer75, I have an 03 model. Don't have throttle issues like you describe, I find it fairly progressive below the VTEC point 7k on mine and then even through the VTEC zone where it gets more interesting it is progressive and smooth.

If you suspect injectors maybe worth running one of the injector cleaner products through next tank.

3. I don't know if you have already done it, but can I suggest that you join ozfr (www.ozvfr.net). It is the repository for all things VFR and there are heaps of owners of Origamis there who would be able to help.

Either that or sell it and buy a VFR 750 that always works!!

:cool: