Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VFR becomes unexpectedy horizontal

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by El Damo, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Took the had-it-for-less-than-a-week VFR out for a ride after work tonight. While I was out I stopped for petrol & there was a small queue, so I'd stopped the engine rather than have it sit there achieving nothing but burning fuel & getting hot. When the car at the pump in front of me moved off I thought "No need to start the engine, I'll just get off and push the bike forward" (it was less than 1.5m).

That was when things went pear-shaped. For some reason that I'm sure made sense at the time I decided that I didn't need to put the sidestand down to dismount - BIG MISTAKE. I learnt three things:

1. Once 213Kg of bike tips past a certain point it covers the remaining distance to the ground very quickly.

2. The point at which I can no longer hold the bike upright is not as far off vertical as I thought.

3. I'm an idiot. :roll:

The guy behind me was nice enough to get out of his car and help me lift the bike up. The whole time I was struggling to lift it I was thinking "I wish I could remember the instructions in Loz's 'How to pick up a bike' vid" BTW - http://www.thebikergene.com/how-to/video-how-to-pick-up-a-dropped-bike/ - first thing I checked when I got home.

The damage:
    - the thing that sticks out under the left footpeg (does it have a name?) has snapped off.
    - the clutch lever is bent; still works perfectly well, just looks ridiculous.
    - small scratches on the fairing just behind the left front indicator.
    - large scratches on left pannier.

All else OK. No trouble starting, or in the 47Km ride that followed. All gears tested & working, and no trouble changing between them.

I'll be replacing the clutch lever and footpeg thing ASAP. I could try straightening the clutch lever, but I'd be too worried about it breaking at a really unfortunate moment sometime in the future. I might have to replace the entire left footpeg - the part of the sticking-down-thing which screws into the footpeg has snapped off about 1mm inside the hole, so there's no way to get a grip on it.

Fortunately the fairing scratches aren't too bad - you problably wouldn't see them unless you knew to look for them. But the damage to the pannier is obvious.

If anyone knows a good place to get the fairing & pannier scratches fixed could you let me know? Thanks.

OK, I'm done - now for the bit where you all point and laugh.

2. No pointing and laughing here; any dumb mistake that any other rider makes I probably made 20 years ago, AND more recently into the bargain :LOL:

You're right, though, once they start to go you need more strength than most of us have got to stop the inevitable....

3. Wow

This sounds very familiar I am sad to say.....

Read the "Worst sound ever" post I put up before..

Fortunately, you will feel better (I know).....

4. You won't do it again.

5. Bah, been there done that, so have many others and many more to come.

That little thing that sticks out of the footpeg is called a hero knob. Remove the other one and tell everybody you're fully sik. :wink:

6. *sigh* It would have been nice to wait more than a week (and 500Kms) before doing it.

Hero knob? Seriously?

7. Sorry mate. There is empathy in there but it's a little hard to see. Some riders don't wait a week to put it on it's side, there's stories on here of riders binning their bikes as they leave the dealership (there's clips on youtube too)
    But you know, there's never a 'good time' to tip one over, but it does happen.
    Try and look for the bright side whenever it happens, on this occasion at least you got to ride it home eh? A simple stationary drop can break a lever clean off and render the bike useless.

Christmas is coming up, get yourself a decent present like a set of frame sliders, then for 2009 you can tip it over when the mood takes you. :wink:

Semi serious :grin: That's it's nickname, but if you asked for one at a bike shop they'd know what you were talking about.

8. personally i don't point and laugh at fellow bikers, everyone drops their bike at some point, its good the guy helped you pick it up.

Although I would laugh at a guy on a bike who saw a bunch of women and yells 'hey ladies, check this out' and then pulls a wheelie and then does a stoppie and then goes over the handlebars and the women laugh at him.

And man those how-to vids are great :)

Cheers!
    Andy

9. That was just me being more annoyed at my own stupidity than anything. I didn't think for a moment that your (or anyone else's) responses so far have been anything but empathetic.

Good point. At least I avoided (a)doing it that quickly, and (b)Youtube.

True ... and I didn't take the most direct route home either. Actually, I got to the driveway, figured I had at least another hour of sunlight & decided to add another 40-odd Km to the odometer :grin:

I'm considering a set.

OK, cool, thanks; at least that gives me something to call them (other than "those little sticky-out things")

10. My Bandit weighs 165kgs approx. The second week I had it I slipped on wet concrete while I was moving it. I saved it, but soon realised my left shoulder socket was not in it's rightful place.
    I could have joined CIRQUE DU SOLEIL with the next movement. I somehow got my right hand into position and was able to take the weight and slowly changed hands. I I smashed the left mirror off with my left elbow as I saved it.

I still have not dropped it, touch wood (knocks on my forehead). :p

11. That's what I'm talking about :grin:

Like a romantic comedy they'll make you laugh, they'll make you cry.
    God i hate romantic comedies.

12. I once stalled my FJ1100 at a T intersection.

bike fell over trapping my leg under it.

at about 240kg and underneath the bike I had no hope of getting out from under it

Some people had to lift my bike off me.

I felt like a right tool :roll:

everyone does it once :)

hope the damage isnt too costly to fix.

OZ

13. that sucks man. ive almost dropped it but managed to pull it up before it went past that point of no return.

on the plus side of your experiance, you made a great post about it and ive (and most likely a lot more people) have seen Loz's video on how to pick up a bike properly, which I wouldnt have seen unless you made this post.

14. peg feeler if you don't wanna get laughed at :LOL:

15. 4. Put the side stand down before attempting to move the bike, and stand on the right side of the bike so you can hold it if it leans too far.

;)

16. done it twice, same situation as yours but getting of the pavement. now i have learnt what not to do and i guess so have you :)

17. Shhh :-$

:LOL:

18. Hero knobs
    Peg feelers
    Bank Angle Sensors

All I know is that they're dangerous as all get out, and they dig in hard into the bitumen when cornering, upsetting the balance of the suspension, and should be removed at the first available opportunity.

If one of them snapped off, I'd be thankful that I didn't have to remove it myself.

19. Done it twice.

Once in my garage. (no-one looking) 8-[

Second time was just after a hero-overtake on a country road. Came to a stop at an intersection with the lumbering 4wd I had just blasted past coming up slowly behind me. Put my foot down in someones blown-radiator residue and my foot slipped out.

Crunch.

The guy in the 4wd? He helped me pick it up and did an admirable job of hiding his sneering contempt. :oops:

Feel better yet? :LOL:

20. Thats bad advice having the bike falling away from you. There's no way you'll hold anything bigger than a scooter from the wrong side.