Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VFR 750?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by gofish, Feb 27, 2009.

1. As much as I'd love an early VFR 800 it may be pushing the budget a little. Are the VFR 750's still a good buy or are they starting to get a little old for the prices that they fetch? I beleive that they are a good strong motor...true? Thoughts appreciated.

PS for around the 5k mark what bike would you otherwise suggest.

2. Well, so your post doesn't go unanswered, depends what you mean by old and a good buy. They fetch high prices for they're age 'cause that's what people will pay - they're well regarded and pretty sought after.

If you want some suggestions, you will need to supply a bit more info - what you want to use it for, size, experience etc. The similar choices might be the CBR600F, YZF600R, RF600/900, pre 96 ZX-6, CB600/900, DL650... the list goes on.

Jim (who just bough a sick 91 VFR for one fifth your budget...)
  3. $5k will buy you a lot of VFR750. I have a '93 but anything from '91 on will be an excellent long term prospect if it has been well looked after.
  4. $5k is a tough price bracket because everything is too dear for what it is or it's age.

At $7k you can find some bargains, but at $5 you are going to be pushed. Be prepared for self maintenance and be prepared to get your hand in your pocket in the first 12 months.

The VFR750 were good, but probably not as good as legend would have it. Their second hand demand was/is higher than their new demand and that means they are never going to be good value for what they are.
  5. Ummm??? :? Based on what exactly?

See above comment! Depends if you choose to buy a basket case or not, and find any bike that costs no money to run!

See above comment. Depends if you choose to buy a bad one. I'm yet to meet a past or present VFR owner who regrets owning one.
  6. It is my opinion (I admit that) that bikes (decent capacity ones anyway) being sold for less than $6K are holding their value more than they should, given their age and their state of wear and tear.

Bikes don't tend to fall much in value once they get into this bracket. The result is they could (and usually do) have considerable mechanical baggage.

I admit my research in this bracket is 12 months old, but back then it was obvious that finding 25% more money gave you more than a 25% better bike.

I always keep money up my sleeve when buying a second hand bike, because you can bet something will need attending too early on in your ownership. the older the bike and the more ks the more you need to keep up your sleeve.

and please tell me about the bike that takes no money to run. I want one of those.
  7. The reason I queried your comments was that I bought my VFR for considerably less than $5K with less than 12,000km on it.

It had NO mechanical issues beyond needing all it's fluids changed and a new set of tyres.

I certainly wouldn't even consider talking to a dealer about older bikes. The key to buying well on a limited budget is to buy privately. Dealers will stick a $5,000 price tag on any old dunger and wait for the right mug to walk in. And they will get one eventually. With a dealer sale, you have next to no chance of finding out anything honest about the history.

Buying privately, it is a completely different story. Yes, anyone can blow hot air up your backside about service history, but you get a far better perspective when looking privately. There are gems out there in private sale land. You will seldom find them at dealers.
  8. Very lucky find. there are not going to be many VFR 750s out there with genuinely less than 50,000 on them. problems start on all bikes before then (minor to start with). Also the probability of a minor accident increases with time too.

and I agree that you shouldn't be talking to a dealer especially in this price range.
  9. VFRs, and 750s in particular, are very robust, long lasting bikes. But if something is wrong, they are expensive to fix. It's going to come down to the k's and the history. Motors go forever, but the other cycle parts will wear out same as any other bike.

If you can get one under, say, 60 – 70,000k and with no significant crash damage, I would grab it (all other things being OK). More ks may still be OK.

Generally, the gearbox goes before the power plant, and at this point it probably becomes uneconomic to spend much on repairs. It's not inherently weak (usually only after a lot of ks), just doesn't last as long as the motor.

Regulators go,... er, regularly.
  10. So most would think that it would be worth the extra $ & go for a later model bike? I really like the VFR's (esp. the 800) but they are quite expensive. What other bikes would people suggest. Something heading to more sports-tourer than sports. I spoke to someone the other day who had the 98 VFR with 19mm (I think) bar-risers & they love the bike to bits. I had a look at one recently with 48k on the clock going for a good price but the guy had NO service history at all.....keep looking.
  11. Just saying be prepared to be patient and be careful. If you don't $1000 you save now may cost you $2000 or more in future.
  12. I've got a 1995 VFR with around 52,000 on the clock (weekend rider only). All the reading I have done (go to ozvfr . net for comments and other VFR links) suggests that it is a long lasting engine provided it has been well maintained. One of the Ozvfr members has done over 200K on his 92 - 93 model. Make sure the reg/rectifier has been fixed otherwise it will strand you in the middle of nowhere.