Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VFR 750 Q

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by gofish, Apr 18, 2009.

1. I am having a look at a 1997 VFR 750 today. Is there anything that I should look out for (known problems,etc) whilst I am checking it over? Thanks a lot.

2. its an awsome bike, if that is one of the gear driven cam jobs - no timing chain then unless its a total shambles grab it.

there is a website = vfrd , which has just about everything you need on VFR's

Hope you score it

3. they are an awesome allrounder. the 94-97's have gear-driven cams, as do the 98-01's, before (IMHO) Honda ruined everything by going V-Tec and chain-driven cams from 02 onwards. The bike you're looking at is considered the last of the "sporty" ones, with models thereafter becoming more sports-touring oriented.
    That said, the 94-97's are still great do-it-all bikes and if it's in good nick, you won't be disappointed. They are damn-near bullet-proof and can cop a fair hammering.
    nothing sounds quite like 'em on the road with an open pipe, such as a Staintune, either! Horn!

4. one thing did come to mind - the regulator/rectifier would sometimes cark it or fry itself. Check to see if original or at least ask the seller if it's the original or has been replaced by the upgraded version.
    Apart from that, there should be no problems if the bike has been looked after.
    Check out http://www.ozvfr.net/ - & join up - there's absolutely everything you need to know about these bikes on there.

5. In fact it's so common you will almost certainly have it happen during your period of ownership. Unless you substitute for another kind.
    Temperature sender switch can fail, leading to no fan and overheating, but not common. Cam drive will not fail but it it can get noisy and that's hard to eliminate. Motors last virtually forever if serviced, gearbox will usually die first making repair uneconomical (but neither are they particularly weak).
    Truly great bike.

6. Regs seem to be a common issue with honda , most substitute for a R1 item i believe?

7. This is something that pops up all the time when VFRs are mentioned. Why is this so? On paper the VTEC idea sounds great to me; is it the execution of the theory that is flawed (i.e. the VTEC doesn't actually work as promised)? Or is there some other compromise involved, such that VTEC results in crap performance because of something unrelated?

Genuinely interested to know why there's so much negativity about VTEC, as I'm also thinking of buying a VFR. And want to explain the gear vs. chain cam stuff while you're at it :grin: ?

Would love to know, because my experience with these bikes is limited to theory only (licence restrictions), and to me the VTEC sounds like a great idea! :)

8. From what i've read, it doesnt provide much, if any power or economy boost, adds weight and complexity and untill the recent iteration, an annoying flatspot at changeover. Apparently one of the only things it improved was emissions. Oh, and the gears sounded *p0rn*.

Thats just reading material though. NFI what they are like in person :p

9. Hi, I have a VFR800 an 08 model. Love the vtec, The sound, power feel great. I do have staintunes as well. The econmy is good too. Nothing to complain about the VFR it is a great touring bike plus sporty too.
    Cheers
    G

10. The pre versus post VTEC arguement will probably go on for ever.

Most agree the motor is the heart of any bike. You hear stuff like torquie, revvie, smooth, rough etc etc

With the intro of the new VTEC motors in the VFRs, Honda made such a humungus redesign to the original concept IMO they should have given it a new name as well, I mean this was not the product of years of evolution, honda just dropped a new and completely different type motor in and it appears they dumped the old one altogether. Hung onto the VFR name cause it was money in the bank...and dont get me wrong those VTEC motors a great in thier own right but my point is its not the same bike anymore

VFR folk will no doubt disagree but I reckon the original cam/gear driven non vtec are the true VFR body and soul. The moment the Vtec came along there should have been a new name as well (like VTC tourer or something).

I can only imagine what could have been had honda continued developing the original VFR as per what they were originally bred for (racing) Bet the word Touring would not be in the sales pitch, and by now we would probably have been looking at a litre + bike that sounded like nothing else on the track or road.

Views expressed are just my own

11. Had a look at the bike on the w/end.How depressing to see such a great bike uncared for :cry: . It had lots of rust & mud /dirt everywhere...& thats after he had (literally) just washed it! Also a couple of fairing cracks with some real dodgy welding jobs. Needless to say I walked away (after he told me I would not find one in much better condition). It did,however, sound awesome with the Omrae can on it. I am now looking at a 1999 800 with same km's & a Remus can for the same price...we will see. What do people think is the better of the 2 ... 750 or 800 ? Hope this does not start too much of a debate.

12. As long as it's a gear cam bike, it will still have the same character, albeit with EFI I think.

Sad to see them thrashed. Even worse to see them unused after all these years. Such nice things to ride.

13. do the same checks you would for any bike,

+ check online for the history on your potential vfr purchase. gives you when it was regoed, how long and when it was handed to someone new, also shows if its ever been registered as a right off

14. the 98-99 models have gear-driven cams and Fi, though still have what looks like a "choke" lever on the left handlebar - it's really just a fast-idle lever to aid in warming up.
    the 00-01 models looked identical, apart from the font used for numbers on the dials, though were full EFi, which means no lever - the CPU/ECU on-board computer thingy looks after everything while warming up.
    The main difference between the 750 & 800's is that the 800 (actually 781cc) has slightly more torque. Mine's a 01 model and will pull (albeit slowly at first) from 60k in 6th gear. They really lift their skirts above 6000rpm and after 8000 go quite hard to redline (11800). They also had the Dual-combined braking system, whereby front brake would apply partial rear, and rear only would apply minimal front. Can't really tell for road use if there's much difference, but they are certainly a road-focused "real-world" bike, as opposed to a racer with lights. They have good range too - touring mode will get you 360+k before hitting reserve (which is a flashing last bar on the lcd panel) and the tank holds 21l, which is rare in a bike that's not an out and out tourer these days. Most sports bikes have between 16 & 18l, which is probably enough, given the ergos of some! You'd really need a break after using a tankful, especially if cruising or touring.
    My first VFR800 was an 00 model, then I had a couple of different bikes inbetween, before finding and settling on a pristine 01 model, which I've had for about a year now.
    They're lovely. I commute, tour and scratch on mine. 110k on the highway is just under 5000rpm and it will pull past 11k in top gear if you're really keen (...so I've been told...), so they're plenty quick.
    Did I mention they also sound horn?
    I'm pretty tall at 194cm and it's not cramped for me, so anyone of average height should find the ergos ideal. The 98-99 ones sometimes still have reg/rect issues, which I believe were addressed in the 00-01 models with Honda using a beefier version. I've had no issues with that on either of my VFR's - yet, touch wood.
    They can run a little hot for commuting in summer - the thermo fan cuts in at 103C and pumps hot air onto your right leg, but even on a hot day, once your up at freeway speeds, temps drop again quite quickly into the 78-84C range.
    Can't think of anything else really. They are one of the few Jap bikes of recent times that could be said to have character and soul, due to the lovely V4 engine. Give one a ride, you'll come back smiling, and that's what half of it's all about! Good luck!

15. PS - one of the guys on the OZVFR forum has clocked over 200,000klm on his '94, with nary a thing gone wrong mechanically - apart from the usual consumables and valve-clearance checks, it's still running strong.

So they are built to last, as well. 30,000k is nothing for these engines and well-cared & serviced models will still be running like a peach way past 80,000k. Might have something to do with having its origins in an over-engineered racebike, which has been detuned for the street, which gives them great reliability (apart from the reg/rec issue).

Mine had 32thou on the clock when I bought it, and when I had my 36thou service done all they had to do was replace the airfilter/oil filter etc. It's going in for the 42thou in 2wks, so I'll let the forum know if any issues. 48thou is major service - valve-clearance checks etc, but I don't suspect anything will be too far out by then either!

16. The reason they stopped producing gear driven cams was it was too expensive to produce. It was over engineering that worked, but cost a bomb. The move to chain helped reduce the costs and the VTEC was apparently a move to help with emissions. Personally, I have no problem with the VTEC system. My dad (who previous to his Blackbird, owned a 98 VFR which he toured France on) can hardly tell the difference in feel between my 07 model and his old one. The engine sound is the main difference.

There were reliability issues with the first gen of chain driven cams, which was the original reason that gear driven were the norm for the old VFRs. But they have since fixed those problems (pretty much during that first gen).

Needless to say, the motor in all VFRs are solid and pretty bulletproof. With as much grunt as you would imagine from an 800cc engine, that can handle 2 up plus luggage (which I have done myself).

I've just hit 24,150ks on mine (owned since Nov 07), with zero problems. Just had its service and it's as happy as it was when it rolled off the showroom floor.

There's a lot of hangup over VTEC and chain driven cams. I think it's just an image thing, why 'fix' what wasn't broken, which the cost soon saw to.