Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by intel, Jan 4, 2007.

1. I've been looking at a vf1000 .Generally what problems do the vf1000's (84 to 87 ) have.Especially engine/gearbox wise .

2. Mate Welcome to the forum

I would not touch them with a barge pole

BIG HEAVY they would eat the following in HUGE amounts

Tyres Brakes Headstem bearings rear shocks fork seals and then there is the issue of the CAMs ever heard of the phrase Chocolate Cams its where the oiling system is marginal and the supply of cool fresh clean oil stops the hardening being stripped off and spread through the motor :shock:

The first series is not as bad as the VF750 but still bad :cry:

The second series with the gear driven cams is a little better :roll:

Honda finally got it right with the VFR series 750 etc
    Just took them years to wash that experience away thats why they went to the CBR in line range for there 1000 series to get the sales back in America
  3. thanks Brucey .will save my hardearned for something else.
  4. The 1000 had a much better rep than the 750.

They were a good sports/touring bike in their day but their owners over-valued them and they weren't worth what people were asking for them.

lately they are a lot cheaper, simply because they are so old.

I'd stay away too.

I don't know why the market is so strong with 80's bikes. They are running into some serious problems. All bikes from this era should only be worth around $500-2000. You still see people asking around $5-7000 for some models!