Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vetrix Electric scooter

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by pro-pilot, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Saw a few of these outside various places around Melb. yesterday. They apparently last for a few hours and are suppose to handle 110+kph quite well.
    When questioned the guys said its equivalent to a 500cc capacity engine and is about $17k on road.
    It also claims that recharging it only costs about $45 per annum.

Has anyone tried one of these things out?

2. How many kms/charge cycles before you have to
    buy replacement batteries
    and how much do the replacements cost?

Every electric I've ever seen the batteries cost as much to
    replace after 3 years as 3years worth of petrol.

And environmentally sound? Nope, you just don't see the emissions
    here, they are in the Latrobe Valley at the coal-fired power stations.
  3. I totally agree with Hotcam.

These are the 'Toyota Prius' of the bike world. The whole marketing is aimed at making us feel guilty enough to buy one (as in Prius marketing)

If you do some research, you'll find that in fact they take huge amounts of energy to produce and are totally un-recyclable when finished with (unlike a conventional vehicle)

It's bullshit marketing at it's finest and ultimately the consumer (ie, US) who loses in the long run. Most scooters are already environmentally friendly and burn very little fuel. With catalytic converters etc, I really wonder who (other than a movie-star or politician trying to make a statement on how "green" they are) would buy one.
  4. *shrugs* I dunno... It seems to me that it's hard enough to shake the hair dryer stereotype that scooters "enjoy" without something that runs on 4 'AA' batteries sitting beside me at the lights... :roll:

*visualizes the above scene* I'd have to bite my lip so I wouldn't say something to them (over the whine of my two stroke) like "Is that a vibrator in your back pocket or is your hog just idling rough today?" :twisted:

Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age... but I just don't see the point of an electric scooter... *shrugs* ...the Pagsta mini-choppers are looking better and better now... :p

(Mind you... if I got a chance to ride one I'd probably love it... *shrugs again* each to their own I guess... it just don't ring my bell is all...)